• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

ac refrigerant hose

cheezhead

part number  ac delco 15-33436. 2003 avalanche 1500

I need help on replacing my ac hose,(EVAPORATOR TUBE)

It looked easy to replace it, so i ordered one on line. I cant find where the one end is towards the front end of the truck.

One end on the firewall is east to get at, but how to you get at the other end and where is it? I'am underneath the truck and can see the line,  but cant see the end or feel the nut.

I had squirrels eat up my ac units on my Silverado and Avalanche. I took the Silverado in to the shop and they got me for $400 on it. I cant really afford it again so i thought it looked easy to fix, but cant even find how to change out the ac hose.
Thanks if you can guide me on how to change out this tubing.

Unless you have all the equipment to do A/C work, I would not do it for it may look easy but it's more complex than just replace and service.    (y)

I only have to change the ac hose and the accumulator, thought it wouldn't be too bad, Then i was going to take it in for the evacuate, oil and re charge. I was hoping to just change out the 2 parts.

This will give you an idea of where they go.. You'll have to pull the grill to access the lines at the condenser behind the grill.

Attachments

• AC Lines.png
    AC Lines.png
    61.3 KB · Views: 58
Thanks so much Randy, i looked everywhere for a diagram. I just went out and took a peek in that area and i believe i see the end, sure looks like it goes right into the bottom of the radiator, Do you think i can get by with just taking off the top black grill cover or does the whole grill need to come out? Have you changed out the ac hose before? Thanks again!

It's all one piece...

Just remove the 4 push pins on top (#13), then pry apart number #12 & #4  on each side with something soft, like a plastic or wooden wedge . You can use a screwdriver but put something over it or you will scratch it paint or the chrome. Then grab the grill on either side of the Chevrolet emblem with both hands (fingers through the grill) and pull straight out. Don't be afraid just give a firm tug and it will come right out. There are clips holding it in. The plastic clips #12 & #4 may break and you will have to go the auto parts store and match them up or at the dealer.

If you have someone help they can move the ends of the grill #12 & #4 over the clips and save them maybe, but not always.

The AC lines are easy and they seal with an o-ring so it does not have to be super tight just snug, it's soft aluminum.

Good luck

Attachments

• 100914TC01-702.jpg
    100914TC01-702.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 47
Excellent Randy. I hate to bother you, i'am going to change the ac hose, and the accumulator. Then take it to the pro's for a re charge, etc. Think it will be ok? Damn squirells.

It's really pretty easy to pull the grill.

My passenger side number 4 clip has been broken for about 12 years now.   :rolleyes:

Yea, it's all easy to change out. The lines and fittings come apart very easy. Just be clean about it and wipe down or wash around the fittings so you don't get any debris in the lines, even a small spec of dirt can cause problems. Then yes, take it to a shop to have it evacuated and charged.

enoniam.... Likewise mine were missing after the first time I removed them for awhile until the next time I had it off and had picked up new clips.

update, grill off, accumulator off and changed but the ac hose is giving me fits. What is the right way to start and feed it ?

I can get close but it starts binding up. The worse part is that 45 degree turn to the radiator. Where should i start it at?

Hard to help with not being able to see what your doing...

Ok thanks Randy. I have been standing on my head all day and em giving up for today. Ya its really hard to explain what im trying to do. But no matter what i do i cant get the ac hose lined back up.I've tried feeding from the bottom and top and nothing lines up, then gets bound up, afraid of bending the tube. Im searching now. I wonder if i go to the dealer would they print me out anything on re installing this piece?

About the only thing the dealer would probably give you is something like the diagram I posted. It's soft aluminum tubing and you should be able to bend it a little if it doesn't line up just right. A tubing bender would be the best way, just don't kink it.

Back