• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

06 avy ac unit intermittent

Misfit171

I have a 06 avy my ac is not working right. I've seen lots of posts with few solutions. My ac will kick on in seconds after I push the snowflake the clutch kicks in and the air is cold as ice. Then two mins later it's warm. That isn't how it goes every time. Sometimes it takes 10 or 15 minutes. Most the time I shut the truck off and it comes back on for a couple mins then it's gone. Something must be telling my clutch to shut off? Heat ? Electrical? Any info would be great. In the morning when it's like 65 degrees out it runs all the way to work , but when I get out of work and it's like 85 degrees it quits two mins later .?? Thanks for any help.

Sounds like low refrigerant.

Are you sure clutch goes off?
Maybe heater core Damper is moving?

Have pressures checked and watch/listen for compressor clutch.

Check Air temp with thermeter in vent should be 50F or lower.

Yes the clutch goes off. When the warm are flows I stop and check and the clutch is not spinning. I'm going to have the refrigerant checked again  , but I think it is full. This morning it was 59 degrees here and my cold air lasted two mins.

Sounds like low level which means small leak

Look a the low pressure switch on the accumulator/drier. Se if it looks like there oil or it's dirty around it. It's common for those to go out, the diaphragm blows out in them just from wear and tear since they cycle about a billion times..

The good news if it is that is you just replace that and top off the charge. The switch is about $50.00 at the dealer and there is a Schrader valve and O-Ring under it so you don't open the system to atmosphere, you can just R&R with a wrench in about a minute. Just do not over tighten, just a little more that hand tight, it seals with the O-Ring not the threads.

You can get the switch at any auto parts or online, prices vary from $10-$50, but I would not buy a cheap one.. Check around the switch first and see if there is oil residue before you buy one. It could be the compressor or a leak somewhere else..

And then you will have to go to a shop and have them charge it, shouldn't take more than 30 minutes.

before replacing switch have pressures checked.

I thought my switch was bad and bought one and swapped it out and wasetd $20 or so.
As I was a little low on Refridgerant which fixed me right up with the can.

Ok so got the freon level checked ends up I'm way over full. Next step I will be taking it to a shop to get it evacuated and refilled hopefully that fixes it.

Overfilled, that ain't good.

Misfit171 said:
Ok so got the freon level checked ends up I'm way over full. Next step I will be taking it to a shop to get it evacuated and refilled hopefully that fixes it.
SO high pressure switch was turning it off.
This is there to protect system from ruining compressor

Back