• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Radio loses power

KMK2K15

One minor problem with my 04 Av.. When driving, my radio will lose all power for a split second and come back on. (All power lost, radio and clock turn off) then it comes back on like nothing ever happened. The clock doesn't need reset or anything. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Check for a lose connection at the back of the radio...

Do you have issues with your cluster showing strange errors or warnings that don't make sense? (Such as low coolant or service 4x4?)

I ask because if there is noise on the Databus you can have that happen. If I unplug my ODBII scanner in the wrong order my stereo will kick off and once the garbage on the databus is gone it will come back on. My cluster will show strange messages and sometimes trips the security stuff. So have to make sure I keep my tablet on when I am driving and not just unplug the odbii  or turn the tablet off or it freaks out my truck...

Do you have an after market alarm?

And probably should have asked which radio you have.

If it is not a datalink issue then it could be an issue with the radio. Check all of the fuses in the left side panel and in the under hood panel. You could have a blown fuse on something you wouldn't think is related so make sure you check them all.

I checked the connections and plugged them back in. It just has the basic single disk AM/FM radio. No codes or messages have shown up. I'll take a look at fuses later.. my other thought was possibly a loose or corroded ground wire, but I don't know where I would find the one that is related to the radio.

I had that issue for a long time. Recently it got worse and now the radio wont turn on but will turn on by itself and then immediately turn off.  :help: :help:

I have an aftermarket Jensen Radio, I bought from Crutchfield. They told me to check my alternator and ground wires. I'll be checking it tonight to see if there is any difference.

Will keep you posted

Back