• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

First Tune Up, What So I Need?

Burrd

So the Lanche has a little over 100,000 on her, I need to do a tune up, what do I need? Plugs for sure, wires I would think, what else? I think I'll do the two belt tension era too.  Maybe new belts too, what else?

You could clean the MAF,  change the air filter, put some fuel system cleaning in the gas tank, and change the upstream O2 sensors.

Could also drop the tranny pan, change the filter and put in some fresh tranny fluid.

Yes, sounds good for the tranny, I'll get a Filter at my Cheby Dealer.  Where are those O2 sensors at?

Not sure what year you have but if you an inline fuel filter, change that too.  I think starting in '04 it went to an in pump only filter.

Burrd said:
Yes, sounds good for the tranny, I'll get a Filter at my Cheby Dealer.  Where are those O2 sensors at?

On the exhaust y-pipe, upstream of the catalytic converters.

I just finished my tune up. I replaced The following parts:

1. Oil and oil filter (engine)
2. Airfilter (i also cleaned the MAF)
3. Oil and oil filter (transmission)
4. Sparkplugs (NGK Platinum)
5. New serpentine belt (Gatorback)

Did a ton of difference.

If you check your owners manual you may want to do a little more than what you folks have done.

Remember to replace the fluids in the transfer case and front/rear differential.
Inspect the brake lines for corrosion.
Change out the brake fluids.
Flush the radiator and replace the fluids.
Check the undercarriage for any leaks.

I was going to say a 6 Pack but to get all done, your going to need at least a 12 pack...

Coolant should be good for 100,000 miles, brake fluid every time you change pads

Mine as just over 100k This is my Bumper to Bumper  100K

1.)Mobile Oil K& N Filter,(K&N air filter clean and reapply) :D :bling:
2.) Front and Rear Diff Lucas manual weightsjavascript:void(0);
3.) Coolant Flush with GM steallership coolant
4.) Transmission Filter Drain Fluid Replace
5.) NGK Iridium Plugs
6.) MSD Plug Wires 8.5
7.) LED Bulb Switch (Bumper to Bumper, Sails Included :cool:) (y)
8.) Transmission Cooler and Gauge :love:
9.) Transfer Case Drain and Refill
10.)Seafoam/Lucas/Slick 50 additive preference
11.)Lube All Zerks(sp) and Replace
12.)Rotate and Balance Tires
13.)Full Level I DOT Inspection
14.)When you are doing all that inspect Everything for leaks and metal to metal wear

Also Pay for an Independent gear head (you Trust) to Inspect what you might miss. :B:

I did the Plugs, Wires, and Power Steer Fluid Today.Next up, Trans, Tranf Case and Rear Diff. just did rear pads, calipers, and rotors. I also picked up the two Belt tensioners, I noticed there is a Idler Pulley, so Ill pick up one of those and all new Hoses and Belts.

Is there a plug to drain the Transfer case? I thought I saw one there

Yes there is a drain plug below the fill plug.

And don't forget to remove the fill plug first.

(y)

So the fluid can drain easier and so you know you can get it off.

A member years ago found out he could not get the fill bolt off after he drained it.

Yep.

Refilling with only the drain pull removed can be a real challenge.

Not impossible, but certainly not the preferable method.

Remove the fill plug first so you can be sure it can be removed and is not stuck.

Ah, ok, took your tip.   I didnt have any problems with the drain plugs, here's all I did:

Plugs and wires
Trans filter, clean pan
Rear axle fluid change
Front axle change, which was low
Transfer case
Belts
Idler pulley, both tensioners, they were shot
Coolest flush, cleaned out overflow resv
My battery went during all this so a battery
Put a starter on since it's over 100k too
Power steer fluid change
A rear caliper just hung up, ate a rotor, so new rear calipers, pads, and new rotors. Bled the rears, still Ned to bleed the front lines.  

My 05 runs and drives like new.  The rear brake splash shields are real rusty, I'll grab those for a project next summer, I want to paint the rotors silver and the calipers blue or yellow anyway, I'll do that then. I barely got all this done before the weather here in the D got crappy.  

The tapping I posted in another thread in the dash is still at it, I talked to my mechanic and he said a part in the dual climate is going, that's what they do he said, I'd like to do that myself but I'm not sure what part it is, I'll run a schematic at the dealer, any thoughts on that?

It's not a card in the blower sound, So that's not it.  

Also, the block heater was good, turned out to be a short in the plug, so I bought a water tight plug, ready for the cold stuff here,

How difficult was it to get the plugs out?  I have an 04 and it looks like the driver side of the 5.3L has a lot of stuff in the way that will make removing the plugs problematic.  Thank you!

I think you will find the passenger side rear plug the most difficult.

That said the plugs aren't too bad to get to on these trucks.

stevensmith2859 said:
How difficult was it to get the plugs out?  I have an 04 and it looks like the driver side of the 5.3L has a lot of stuff in the way that will make removing the plugs problematic.  Thank you!
I just did mine a few weeks.  I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was.  Number 8 wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.  I stood on a cooler to raise me up a little bit and it was actually a piece of cake.  The rusted in O2 sensors, well don't make me relive that nightmare.

The plugs were easy, I used a anti seize on the new ones, also I had to re use the steel heat shields, I did a quick clean up on them with some metal polish.  
One thing, one of the tensioners I put on was a 2 bolt instead of a three, used it, it still lined up and all, they must have re designed the one.   I think I'm going to get a new steering shaft, it just feels loose when you go over small bumps.   Spring project, along with the rear brake shields.
Still trying to pinpoint with actuator is making the noise on the pass side, I think I have it down to the inner one.   A stethoscope would be handy.  Since it only does it now and then, usually around start up. 

I hope you used a extremely light coat of anti seize on the plugs, remember they need a ground.

Back