• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Sounds like a Duck is in my console

Burrd

So when I'm driving around I'm getting a duck noise in my dash/ console area. WTH?

Turn your hvac blower off.  I bet you have something stuck in it.  I had a parts tag from my A-pillar fall down into mine once.

Can you tell by the sound whether its a Mallard or wood duck?

Didit

Sounds more like a mallard with a lisp. Lol
Sounds more like it's in the console.  Doesn't sound like in the blower. 

Have you actually looked in the console to see if there is indeed a duck in there!  Also if you have rear heat, the vent for that runs right under the console, possibly a leak or a business card flew the coop!

Didit

Same thing in mine ....kinda narrowed it down to the seat area. Used to only happen when I sat in the passenger seat(265 lbs) now it happens empty.

This morning I had a tapping sound in the console/dash area.  Anyone remember Charlie Callis, it sounds like that more than a duck. This noise is deeper in the dash.

Sounds like a job for Duck Dynasty...

You probably sucked in something from the outside and it is now stuck in your HVAC fan.

Check your cowling for holes.. There may be a space for a cabin filter as well although may not be one installed. Seems like I put one in mine although it wasn't listed for my truck year. Was in later years unless I am confusing with my last car. Come to think of it I should probably change that filter if I have one... LOL But the filter should at least keep the stuff from coming into your truck.

Otherwise if you have the BOSE sound system it could possibly be a blown suboofer too... The subwoofer for  03-06 is in the front of the console firing at the firewall. It can be unplugged if you suspect it is the issue although I have not looked at it to see how easy it would be to unplug with the console in place. The only other "moving" object in the console is the air ventilation already mentioned. The Amplifier is mostly a huge heat sink and it is mounted under the console storage area. I recently pulled apart one of those BOSE amplifers that no longer worked and the inside is pretty boring. The board is relatively small inside this huge heat sink.

Rodney

Mine didn't have the cabin filter, I can add one though?

If you pull up your cowl on the passenger side I think you can see where a cabin filter would fit. There are a couple plastic "screws" that have to be removed and the plastic trim around the cowl can be moved to gain access. If you do have room for a cabin filter you will see a boxed off area around the intake to your HVAC fan.. You will also probably see your "duck" sticking in the fan if you can see it. It probably has been 3 years since I looked in there. I could be wrong but seems like I put one in there. In that case you can look up cabin filter and it should show you the dimensions. Might have been standard on newer trucks.

Rodney

Cowl is the plastic area at the bottom of your windshield that gets covered when you close the hood. So technically it is at the bottom of your windshield not quite into the engine area.

Also where the wiper arm drives stick through.

Rodney

After asking my mechanic, he said a actuator is going.  That's what the tapping sound is, anyone ever replace them and how many are there?

I'm pleased to hear you stayed with this and have nearly concluded a potential solution.

My disappointment is it didn't turn out to be a Goose. Well, maybe it's better for you that it didn't.  :love:

I took that plastic cover off and there Are two actuators there.  I think the noise is coming from the inner most one,

I ended up with the same issue... Was not the actuator in my truck and would take about 30 minutes to check in yours...

And I do not have a cabin filter... As I found out when I researched it better... I am not sure why I thought there was one in the cowl...

My cage had a rounded shaft receiver on the fan. Started out as a duck sound and eventually the air output dropped to the point there was none then it sounded like a poed duck... I swapped out the cage for like $20 and with the trip to the auto parts store I was done from beginning to end in under an hour and half..

So in mine the noise was from the D shaped motor shaft spinning in the nearly rounded cage shaft. Swapped it out and been running fine with no animal noises...

Rodney

It went from a duck sound to tapping noise now.  Yep, no cabin filter on mine either, and the 3rd screw in the cover wasn't in from the factory.  Lol. 
My fan still runs fine even on high.  I will re check though. 

I took my fan out and inspected it. The plastic fan piece actually had cracked on mine and when I removed the clip and looked at the plastic part the motor shaft goes down it was no longer D shaped. Mine was making that noise for months...

At first it really did sound like a duck so I chuckle when I go back and read this...

At the end when no air was pushed by the motor it was more of a buzz than anything else because the fan wasn't turning at all and just the flat edge of the motor shaft was smacking up against the plastic of the plastic cage/fan.

Was an easy fix so hope it is the same for you.

Rodney

Back