• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

No power to Passenger Front Door then can't remote lock or unlock my truck

Bigntall1

This is an random issue.  It does not happen all the time but lately it's been more than less.  At times I have no power to my passenger front door.  Auto locks, power windows, will not work. Even at times when the door is closed the interior lights stay on and I get the warning that the passenger door is ajar.  Whenever this happens I am unable to lock/unlock the doors with the remote key pad.  I have to hit the lock switch on the driver's door and it locks the remaining doors except the passenger door which I have to manually lock.  I will check the fuse today but it doesn't do it all the time.  Now it's getting worse but one day it won't work at all then the next day it will.  Do i have a bad wire harness in the door or is the switch bad and causing the other issues.  Also when this is happening my radio shuts off immediately when I switch the truck off. Normally it runs for a while until I open a door.  Any ideas.  2004 Chevy Avalanche.

brad Pattersonn said:
There is a recall for this problem. take your VIN # to the dealer. The passenger door POD is bad.

Wow I wasn't expecting that answer.  I haven't received any notices in the mail concerning this.  I am the second owner but I've owned it since 05' and normally get the mail notifications.

More likely a TSB = Technical Service Bulletin

I would swap out the CB RT DOOR circuit breaker

The center instrument panel utility block is located underneath the instrument panel, to the left of the steering column.

Attachments

• mde.png
    mde.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 45
I highly doubt it is a recall...

Do you have TPMS (Tire pressure monitoring system), power mirrors or Keyless entry?

It sounds suspicious of the passenger side door module. Each door has a computer module in the door to control the windows, locks, mirror etc.

If you have TPMS or Keyless entry they are done in the passenger side door module and if they are not working either then it really points at that module having issues. And if your power mirror won't adjust on the passenger side it is another sign...

If you have a buddy with a silverado or avalanche of similar year you could ask them nicely to swap switch assemblies with you to see if it goes away in your truck and shows up in their truck. That woudl tell you right away that it is in that assembly.

You are OK to get one at a salvage yard but you will want to get one as close to your truck as possible or you will need it reprogrammed at a dealer. There is a thread where someone swapped theirs out and they started getting TPMS codes on their truck and their truck never had TPMS...

You can also check for relays and fuses... If you swap the relay to another door you can insure it isn't the relay.

Rodney

redheadedrod said:
I highly doubt it is a recall...

Do you have TPMS (Tire pressure monitoring system), power mirrors or Keyless entry?

It sounds suspicious of the passenger side door module. Each door has a computer module in the door to control the windows, locks, mirror etc.

If you have TPMS or Keyless entry they are done in the passenger side door module and if they are not working either then it really points at that module having issues. And if your power mirror won't adjust on the passenger side it is another sign...

If you have a buddy with a silverado or avalanche of similar year you could ask them nicely to swap switch assemblies with you to see if it goes away in your truck and shows up in their truck. That woudl tell you right away that it is in that assembly.

You are OK to get one at a salvage yard but you will want to get one as close to your truck as possible or you will need it reprogrammed at a dealer. There is a thread where someone swapped theirs out and they started getting TPMS codes on their truck and their truck never had TPMS...

You can also check for relays and fuses... If you swap the relay to another door you can insure it isn't the relay.

Rodney
MS03 2500 said:
I would swap out the CB RT DOOR circuit breaker

The center instrument panel utility block is located underneath the instrument panel, to the left of the steering column.

Thanks everyone.  I do not have the TPMS but do have keyless entry, power everything else.  I never thought about finding someone with an avalanche.  I'm in luck because my dad has an 04 WBH just like mine and I can swap the switch and test it that way I can rule that out.  If that's not it I'll try the CB RT Door circuit breaker also.  rodney where is the door module located?

It is in the switch module its self... To remove the switch module the rear of the module will lift up and release. You will want to remove the door panel though which is very simple. One bolt is under the pull handle and the other is under the lock/unlock indicator.

You also have to remove the trim piece around the release handle or you can't pull the panel off.. With the two screws removed the panel will pull off straight up. It might be easier to remove the panel with the window down.

You also have to remove the triangle at the top that covers the outside mirror access but these just pull straight off.

The computer module on all of the doors is integrated into the switch body its self.

Rodney

I discovered the problem and applied a temporary fix.  The issue is the clip that locks the wiring harness to the switch module is broken therefore the connection to the module was loose. It was still plugged in but it explains why it work at times and other times it didn't.  I guess it would gradually work itself loose but and sometimes reconnects.  Go figure.  Anyway the temp fix was to put a piece of duct tape over it to hold it in place.  It's been a week or so now and so far so good.  I tried searching online to see if I could find the lock clip but have been unsuccessful because I don't really know what to search for. 

Back