• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2004 Avalanche front end components

dscheyen

Good day all
I have a 2004 with about 100000 miles, when I turn the the wheel there is a slightly noticeable almost clicking noise that is not the cv joints. I raised the truck up and noticed the steering linkage is loose. I am thinking I should probably replace the steering linkage, while I am at it should I replace other front end components like ball joints etc...
Is there a "front end kit that has a lot of the components already so I don't have to piece everything together? Any thoughts? Is 100000 miles about the life expectancy of the front end?
Thanks for your input it is much appreciated.

In my opinion its about 80-100 K miles before it needs attention.

It may be worth while to take it to a alignment shop and have them tell you whats worn

MS03 2500 said:
In my opinion its about 80-100 K miles before it needs attention.

It may be worth while to take it to a alignment shop and have them tell you whats worn

X2
When you know what is needed check MS03 2500 and my builds you will get a lot of help on this site.

Over time things start to wear out, bushing, idler arm bracket, tie rods, shocks, steering stabilizer etc.

A good frontend shop will be able to tell you what needs replacing and do it yourself.

In my case it was a real bad idler arm bracket and the center link was moving a good 3 inches up and down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTPJu1pbzyk

Now I did not go too crazy with  it
I replaced the upper control arm, tierods, pitman arm, idler arm with moog units. Steering stabilizer with Bilstein 5100.

Additionally I added the Super Steer idler support and the Idler arm and Pitman arm support braces.
The kit was a SS175K8 for my 2500  and SS175K6 for 1500

Some other things to look at Sway bar end links and wheel bearing.

Wow thanks for the great advice!
did you do the inner and outer tie rod ends?
just to be clear I would need 2 inner and 2 outer tierods right?

Yes sir, but still go to a alignment shop and they can tell you what you need now then do the rest when you have time and money.

Back