• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

09 AV keyless entry/start not working

Install40

HELP

My keyless stopped working after not using my truck for 3 days. I called OnStar and they could not unlock because they said it needed to be "re Cycled" by the dealer??  I tried to use my key to unlock the door but as soon as I went into the truck to start with the key, the alarm went off and lights started flashing. On Star connected me to GM and they said there is nothing they can do for me because there is no recall.... :E:

I explained to her that I just bought the truck and it only has 40k on it and I had a 2004 AV with 178k that had NO issues ,  she said they "may" work with me but its up to me to get it to the dealer . 
Does anyone have any idea what it could be? or has anyone had this issue?  I have read online I need a new Keyless/start module and fobs and it needs to be "flashed"??.....  Not sure how expensive that is but I extremely handy and can install it myself if I know where it is and what part numbers I need. 

Pleas help....  I love my AV but this is the 2nd issue within 6 months and I am starting to doubt my purchase  :( :(
Does anyone know of any bulletins for this?

Have you tried changing the battery in the remotes.

Thanks for the reply!

No, I have not changed the batteries in them simply because  this is my issue.  Onstar couldnt even unlock the truck remotely because they said it wouldn't accept the signal (something about "sleep cycle"??) and I think it may be too much of a coincidence that they both (remotes) don't work .... 

Also,
shouldn't the key be able to disarm the factory alarm?  because even though I unlocked the drivers door with the key, it still would not start and then the alarm started to go off (horn honk and light flash).  Is there a fuse I should check ? or maybe disconnect the battery?
I am really trying to not have it towed to the dealer because if they don't pay for it I'm gonna be out alot of cash.

I have been looking and I really haven't seen any one else with a 2009 or newer with this issue, only a couple of people with 04,05 and  07's 

Would it be easier for me to just replace this with a new GM direct kit that has the 17801236 kit?

then all I would have to do is pay for the hour labor for the reprogram.....  I think

First check your truck battery/system voltage. Put a charger on it if you have one. Your truck's of an age where batteries can fail....get below 10 volts and stuff stops working properly. Get down around nine volts and most all electronics will flaky quit. 

0when you go to start the truck with the key, does it crank? It sound to me like you have a theft deterent issue. Also, unlocking the truck with the key will not disable the alarm. However, it should disable when you stick the key in and turn it to the run position.

As another poster suggested, check your battery and also check the battery cables.... Sounds like you have a vehicle battery issue of some sort. At least a good place to start.. And yes it can be something that just happens out of the blue.

Rodney

This is exactly what happens,

I unlock the door with the key, no interior lights no power to the door switches.... then I put the key into the ignition and turn it on the check engine lights up but no other lights on the dash (like when you normally start it) , try to start but nothing.... and then the horn starts honking and the lights flash and interior lights come on for about 3 minutes then it shuts down unless I turn the key again or open the hood.  I tried the remotes while this was happening and still nothing, also tried them with the key in the ignition and when it was on.

Well, then....I reiterate my yesterday's advice. First check or R&R the truck's battery.....

Ok, so here is the deal
I finally had a chance to look at the truck after work today. The battery is a solid 12v so I disconnected it. After 5 minutes , I reconnected it and everything is working fine. I took it out for a little ride and then came back . So far it's back to normal!  Both remotes working with no issues.  So is this something that would show up in a scanner if I plugged in? Or would the be able to pull a code?  It's very strange that this all happened after the truck sat for 3-4 days

I'm still gonna try to figure it out before it happens again

Thank you to all of you who have gotten back to me on this!  And this forum ROCKS!!!!

Code scan never a bad idea but doubt anything useful will show up. With battery disconnect reboot fixin' the problem I'd say either your electronics had a brain fart or you cleared up a corroded battery terminal issue when you pulled and reinstalled the cable. Best advice I gots at this point is to keep a 10mm wrench handy in the truck and load check the battery to make sure it's not just pullin' a zombie kinda trick on you.

Hahahaha
I guess great minds think alike , I put a 10mm socket and mini ratchet in my glovebox right after it started working (y)

I also looked at the cables and they are in great shape( like new with no sign of corrosion on either end of either cable) so I think it may actually have to do with the keyless module and fobs .  I'm thinking about replacing it with the extended range kit from GM Parts with the digital key fob . All I would have to pay for is the reprogram at the dealer .
I'm gonna check to Make sure they "do" make that one for my year AV and which part # it would be.

Again THANKS for all the help and support !
I will update any details that I come across so it may help the next person. I'm also gonna monitor it for the next few days and see what happens. Then leave is sit over the weekend and go from there! 

As I said earlier... Check all of your cables for corrosion. BOTH ends... Not just where your battery is..

Sounds like you should be able to fix your issue long term by cleaning up the main battery cables at both ends and check the ground from block to frame. (Mine is on drivers side and goes from rear of the block to the fire wall near the brake master cylinder.)

You may want to add some battery corrosion protector to your connectors too. This will help prevent or atleast slow down future issues. The fact you disconnected and reconnected your battery and the issue went away is a HUGE sign your cables need attention.

Rodney

Back