• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

ATK High Peformance 6.0 Long Block Ordered

enoniam

Just pulled the trigger on this though Summit Racing:

http://www.high-performance-engines.com/chevy-lq4-6-0l-base-engine-460hp-crate-engine-p/hp93.htm

Will keep everyone updated on how this goes.  Summit says will be shipped by April 4th, although I called ATK with a warranty question last week and was told they had these currently in stock and ready to ship.

Anybody want a Vortech supercharger and meth injection kit?  This engine without boost should be nearly as powerful, but more torque, as my supercharged 5.3.

If we do dyno pulls at Nationals in July I'll put this on the dyno so we can all see what this thing will do.

Nice....  

(y)
           :drive:                     
                               :drive:

Well now, this looks like another mod party in the works. C'mon man, you're almost to 300k on your almost stock engine. You can get a few more miles out of it. :cool:

ohiobellboy said:
Well now, this looks like another mod party in the works. C'mon man, you're almost to 300k on your almost stock engine. You can get a few more miles out of it. :cool:

I'm farming this out to my mechanic.  I hope to get for the supercharger what I'll owe him.

Hummm I see a challenge coming up. That looks awesome  (y)

83206ae67da70662c246b9cca0b92d2da77cae199a14e8d23e102739d5192b2e.jpg

So what do you think the problem is with #7 cylinder? It always seems to be the one that goes first on these engines. Do you think revving a 280k mile engine to 6700 rpm had anything with hurrying the failure/potential failure along?

Your choice certainly looks better than a rebuild for the long haul. It will be interesting to see what kind of gas mileage you end up getting; I noticed it's set up for 91 octane.

MyBigToy said:
So what do you think the problem is with #7 cylinder? It always seems to be the one that goes first on these engines. Do you think revving a 280k mile engine to 6700 rpm had anything with hurrying the failure/potential failure along?

Your choice certainly looks better than a rebuild for the long haul. It will be interesting to see what kind of gas mileage you end up getting; I noticed it's set up for 91 octane.

The problem with the cylinder seems to be valve related - I suspect the exhaust valve.  For one thing I don't seem to be building as much boost as before so I suspect I'm blowing some boost out the exhaust due to that exhaust valve having too much overlap with the intake.  Truck was pinging a lot more at WOT - I took 2 degrees of timing in the WOT areas of the spark curve last night and pinging was gone this morning.  Truck still runs strong but can at times feel the miss a bit and the computer isn't locking the torque converter due to the detected misfires.  I can adjust the misfire sensitivity to get the converter to lock again but this seems to be a sign that it's time to get a replacement engine in the old girl.  The cylinder isn't totally dead - during some of my troubleshooting I unplugged the #1 fuel injector and that cylinder read 2-3 times the number of misfires.

Did revving a 280K engine to 6700 (6800 on dyno this summer) rpm have anything to do with hurrying this along?  Well, I'm sure it didn't help things but hey, it's not like I babied this thing for its first 280K miles, although most were highway miles.

Unless someone doesn't like more power, or doesn't want to loose any fuel mileage, or wants to keep a numbers matching engine, rebuilding the 5.3s doesn't make much sense.  It would cost me probably $3K to rebuild it, or for the extra $600 I can get nearly the same power and more torque as the supercharged 5.3.  Like the 5.3, I'll probably tune it for 89 octane since that's the highest octane I can buy in my little town.  That may have had more to do with the 5.3's demise than revving to 6800 rpm.

My mechanic likes to put in Jasper engines, but this one isn't much more than a stock rebuilt 5.3 from Jasper, especially since I can take off the intake, accessories, etc from the 5.3 and put on the 6.0.  Of course the Jasper has a better warranty.

Summit just sent an email saying engine has shipped and should take 1-6 business days...

MyBigToy said:
Do you have a loading dock and/or a fork truck to unload it?  :2:

I don't but I'm sure my mechanic has something to deal with it.  I've seen new crate engines on pallets at his shop before, and he took delivery of the replacement engine he installed in our Suburban about 10 years ago.

what kind of intake manifolds?
i'm asking if injectors and fuel pump will need upgrade? guessing yes but if you can expose all details i'm very happy with that
Wiring harness from the 5.3l?

En francais "j'adore ce genre de projet" ,  (y) (y)

Maniac said:
what kind of intake manifolds?
i'm asking if injectors and fuel pump will need upgrade? guessing yes but if you can expose all details i'm very happy with that
Wiring harness from the 5.3l?

En francais "j'adore ce genre de projet" ,  (y) (y)

I'm reusing the stock intake manifold.  At some point may go with a FAST truck intake manifold which is supposed to add at least 25 hp to the 6.0 engines.  This engine comes with cathedral-style intake ports in the heads vice the later more rectangular ports - those would have forced an intake manifold change.

To support the supercharger I was already running marine 8.1 fuel injectors rated at 41 pounds and a booster pump.  I plan on continuing to run those.

Wiring harness should work fine.  This engine comes with the 24-tooth reluctor wheel which was used in the first-gen 5.3s versus the 58-tooth which is being used currently.  I'll do custom tuning with HPTuners.

I'm having to retrieve a few things out of the garage such as the alternator bracket and air intake tube, both of which were changed to support the supercharger.  I've already located the bracket and I believe I've got a couple of options for the intake tube lying around, including my homemade ram air setup.  I'll probably supply the mechanic with the AIRAIDE intake tube I used before my ram air setup that runs to the stock airbox (which I was using with the supercharger).  I'll have to undo my relocated intake air temp sensor which was installed between the supercharger and throttlebody, vice its stock location in the MAF.

Engine has been delivered to my mechanic - he thinks he may be able to get to it late next week.

I pulled the meth injection setup out of the truck last night.  Plan on pulling the supercharger on Saturday.

Sill looking for a buyer(s) for the supercharger, meth injection, and fuel pump voltage booster...

Tomorrow removing the supercharger.  :(

Tonight someone gave me $100 down payment for it.  :D

I'm guessing it will be passed down.  LOL

It was a young guy.  Had his 2-3 year old son with him.  Since it was still on the truck last night he wanted to give me some earnest money so I wouldn't sell it to someone else before he could back to me after pulling it.

Supercharger has been removed.

It's been quite a while since I ran this air induction configuration...

Attachments

• WP_002049.jpg
    WP_002049.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 207
enoniam said:
It was a young guy.  Had his 2-3 year old son with him.  Since it was still on the truck last night he wanted to give me some earnest money so I wouldn't sell it to someone else before he could back to me after pulling it.

Well the sale has fallen through.  At least I've got $100 in earnest money from him ...

News from under the hood??? (y)

I've a question for the total cost with this engine, how much you need to add to finalise the installation and running?
Simply if i look the ATK, he need  the totally intake admission, throttle body, timing cover chain, head cover, different sensor, oil pan, water pump, alternator, ignition coil, spark plug, spark plug wire  ?

:wave:

i've don't see these before my post

Oil : 5W30
Oil Filter: Wix or K&N Recommended Per Your Application
Fuel Delivery : OE EFI System With Tune
Intake Manifold : Stock EFI Manifold or Edelbrock Carb Conversion #2908
Fuel Injectors : Stock Injectors or Aftermarket For Optimal Performance
Spark Plugs : NGK #3186
Spark Plug Gap : .035�
Harmonic Balancer/Damper : Stock Factory Balancer Internally Balanced
Flex Plate / Flywheel : Stock Internally Balanced
Tuning : Needs Tune/Preferably Chassis Dyno Tune
Timing : Set To Factory Specifications Via PCM Module (Tune Required)
Water Pump : Per Application
Firing Order : 1 8 7 2 6 5 4 3
Exhuast : 1 5/8 Headers
Fuel Pump : Stock
Fuel : 91+ Octane
Ignition : Coil Packs
Automatic Transmission Stall Converter : stock or 1800

Maniac said:
News from under the hood??? (y)

I've a question for the total cost with this engine, how much you need to add to finalise the installation and running?
Simply if i look the ATK, he need  the totally intake admission, throttle body, timing cover chain, head cover, different sensor, oil pan, water pump, alternator, ignition coil, spark plug, spark plug wire  ?

:wave:

Dropping the truck off tonight at the mechanic's shop to begin install tomorrow.

Everything you mention above should be able to pulled from my 5.3 and bolt onto the 6.0.  The heads on the 6.0 have cathedral shaped intake ports unlike the current rectangular ports on the newer engines so that should match up fine.  It also uses the 24 tooth reluctor wheel versus the 58 on the newer engines.

Addressing some of the things in your later post:

Will use the OE EFI system and I will do tuning with HPTuners
Will reuse the stock EFI intake manifold
Will reuse the 41 lb/hr marine 8.1L engine stock fuel injectors that I had installed to support the supercharger
Will reuse the NGK TR6 fuel injectors for now that I was using with the supercharger
Will use a stock harmonic balancer
Will use the heavy duty flex plate that I installed last time I had the tranny out
Will reuse the waterpump that I had replaced on the 5.3 last fall
Will reuse my 5.3's shorty JBA headers
I have a new Summit Racing brand oil pump to replace the high volume / high flow unit that I had on the 5.3
I'm reusing my stock in-tank fuel pump (still original) and Vortech inline booster fuel pump that were supporting the supercharger.
Reusing stock coil packs
Reusing my 3200 stall torque converter

Jasper Engines quotes labor time of about 14 hours to install one of their engines in our trucks - I am anticipating an extra hour or two to swap a lot of these things over to the new engine from the old.  At my mechanic's $65/hour labor rate should be about $1100 in labor and a few hundred more for gaskets, coolant, oil, new bolts where specified, etc.  Should total a bit over $5000 with the cost of the engine but I'm hoping to get about $2000 from selling the supercharger to bring my cost to around $3000.

Thanks for  detailling and sharing, very instructive
I m curious to hear the beast breathing

Back