• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Drivers window switch has no power

Mank5656

Hi, guys. I recently started using this page and it's been tons of help. I purchased a 2003 Chevy Avalanche 1500 4wd z71 with 140k miles. I purchased it without a working drivers window. However rear drivers window does work so it's not left door fuse.

Here's what I've done and found. Found it had a bad ax fuse 20amp under hood, replaced.  I purchased a new switch because the light wasn't working on it, lots of post about bad switches. It didn't help. I Hotwire straight from battery to window motor and put a hot and ground line on it goes up and down when I switch wires. I've checked ddm fuse, basically all fuses. I recently came across the fact it has a instrument panel fuse box, do I have to remove instrument panel to gain access? The switch is not getting power is the problem. where would you suggest I go from here?

Undate* found the center instrument panel both fuses in there are good. Thx for any help

Instrument panel fuzes are easy to get to - they are basically on the side of the instrument panel - I believe there's fuzes on both sides of the dash but I normally am just messing with the driver's side.  Open the door and there's a removable panel that's basically triangle shaped - fuzes are right behind it.

could be relay

Attachments

• ltdoor.png
    ltdoor.png
    70.4 KB · Views: 66
The switch on the same window in my '04 is going. Have to really push and wiggle it at times to get my window down. Mechanic tells me I have to replace the whole DDM.

ill keep that in mind want to see how far i have power first then will try to get it farther until....

Ok here's where I'm at. After pulling and tracing wires and fuses I now have power to switch connector. Black connector with brown blue orange and black wires. Orange has power. Still no change in switch. I'm thinking the connector might be bad(looks funny on top). Going to splice new one in.

So after about two weeks I was finally able to work on it again. Since last post I've completely removed wiring harness from door all the way back to fuse block inside driver door. Found I had power to that point but no ground. Started checking grounds, eventually found a slight rusted one. Cleaned points and reattached. Bingo ground at 12 point in fuse box. Reattached wire harness for door. Got ground but no hot. Found I had a loose connector. Now I have ground and hot wire at connectors. Window still not working. I'm going to purchase a new ddm to see if that does the trick.

Mank5656 said:
So after about two weeks I was finally able to work on it again. Since last post I've completely removed wiring harness from door all the way back to fuse block inside driver door. Found I had power to that point but no ground. Started checking grounds, eventually found a slight rusted one. Cleaned points and reattached. Bingo ground at 12 point in fuse box. Reattached wire harness for door. Got ground but no hot. Found I had a loose connector. Now I have ground and hot wire at connectors. Window still not working. I'm going to purchase a new ddm to see if that does the trick.
Read this before you go spending all that money

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,146876.msg2108366.html#msg2108366

I have the same issue my orange main power wire has no power all fuses relays and circuit breakers are good thinking it's the bcm does anybody have a different opinion?

The switch on the same window in my '04 is going. Have to really push and wiggle it at times to get my window down. Mechanic tells me I have to replace the whole DDM.
Take the switch apart, clean all contacts & reassemble. Should work like new. Mine did

When I acquired my 04, teh mirrors did not respond consistently.. I bought a Junk yard DDM, it worked great electrically but some of the 'plastic' buttons were goofed up.. I swapped good buttons over to it.. works like new.. Once I had the old one out I have since disassembled it and used contact cleaner on the insides..I have NOT gone thru the effort of putting it in to test it.. but, as with must objects in my life I did not discard it.. It is in my "collection" of parts that I may get to use again someday.

Back