• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

weight distribution hitch and brake controller

roadrunner

Good morning all,

I am moving cross country and towing a 8.5' x 20' x 6.6' enclosed trailer with dual axles (10K capacity) and am looking to get a weight distribution system.

Any suggestions?

Etrailer has many choices to choose from, I have decided on the prodigy 3 controller.

I have the brake wiring harness that came from GM but, the prodigy comes with its own harness.

I have read posts about the controller wiring but, are there any wiring modifications that I need to be aware of on a 2002 2500?

BTW, my truck hitch is a Renuel custom bumper with Welded-in 20,000lb Class 5 female Receiver Hitch.

I do have a 7" lift and running 35" tires and 4.10 gears.

Thanks for any assistance.!

Cheers!

I am not sure but I think you may have a problem with the WD system if youre lifted that high plus the hitch welded in the bumper may also bring the height up slightly

That is a long tow with that lifted height and tires.

Are the tires rated for 2500 type loads?

Will trailer be level with the lift?

ygmn said:
That is a long tow with that lifted height and tires.

Are the tires rated for 2500 type loads?

Will trailer be level with the lift?

Load E 3860 at 65 psi, Mickey Thompson, BAJA MTZ RADIAL - LT315/75R16 (35X12.50R16LT)
Yes the trailer will be level with the lift, I will need a drop down 2" receiver and 2 9/16" ball.

I used to tow a 25' 5500lb boat and trailer with my 2500 suburban that used a 6 or 8" drop down ball/receiver with no issues (except it was only a 350 and not the 496).

Only planning on doing no more that 65 mph driving down the 1500 mile trip.

Update:
Any suggestions on route that would be easy on towing?

I was thinking 81 to 40 to 30.

Thanks!

So which one are you getting.

They are both good units now a days and the P3 has that display. When it first came out it was a piece of work. I thought about getting one but I like that little blue button of the P2

So make sure you get the latest version not the new old stock one.

Hello all,

Picked up a Eaz-Lift 48063 1,000 lbs Elite Bent Bar Weight Distributing Hitch on Amazon with out the shank for under $200 (I needed an 8" drop) and waiting on the ball.

How much extra tire pressure would I need to add with the 1K tongue weight and 9K trailer?

Tires are 315/75 R16 Mickey Thompson MTZ Radial [MT5366] with a load range E (3860 lb @ 65 psi max)  and I am  currently them at 44 psi front and 40 psi rear.

Cheers!

My guess is since you are moving the trailer will be very heavy, so I would start at 55-60 and see how it feels

What are your concerns.  ???

Swaying etc, I read a post on here where low pressure caused swaying/control issues with the trailer.

I'll experiment with pressure at 50psi towing empty when I bring the trailer home.

Thanks!

Yeah it will cause that and the tires themselves will overheat. Now my tires the max is 80 psi I keep them it 45 daily driving when towing depending on load I up them to 65 to 75 to keep the tires from flexing. Since a use a weight distribution hitch I use the same psi front and rear because some weight is transferred up to the front tires

Swaying is more about weight distribution than anything else... Too far forward and too much weight on your Tongue and the front wheels come up and no steering.. Too far back and you get swaying... There are things you can do that will lessen or enhance the potential for swaying. Haven't heard that under inflated tires cause swaying but can cause other issues. Not sure over inflating them is good either. At work our 1 ton and 3/4 ton pickups all are set at the OEM set pressure and tow up to 16,000 lbs on the 1 tons without issue. Just have to make sure not under inflated or you can have blowouts...

When I was towing cars on my trailer I had to have the car in just the right spot or I would have issues. Was better to be slightly forward than too far back though.

They have anti sway bars you can add but I have been told while they help they don't prevent swaying. And if you are pulling weight near the limitation of the trailer it is important to be level or you are putting more weight on one of the axles which can make one of the axles over loaded and the other under utilized. With a weight distribution hitch I was under the impression you can adjust the tension of the hitch which will allow you to distribute the weight more evenly on the frame of the tow vehicle and help it not sag in the front or back as well as hopefully level the trailer.

I had a 7,000 lb trailer with dual electric axles. Worked great. I sure miss that trailer but had no place to put it so had to sell it.

Here are some photos, any tips from experienced towers eg left lane changing into right lane and the distance from vehicle just passed (count x number), max speed towing (trailer tires are load e)?

Truck trans seems to run cooler in the tow/haul mode but never goes over 200 trans temp.

I think the trailer will be close to tow max 9K or so.

Comments on adjusting the P3 brake firmness?

I have it set to 6.2 volts and cant tell if the brakes on the trailer are locking up or not. I can feel the trailer pull (electric brakes). I am thinking about setting the boost to B3.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20150620_123615 (Mobile).jpg
    20150620_123615 (Mobile).jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 20150620_123600 (Mobile).jpg
    20150620_123600 (Mobile).jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 20150620_123545 (Mobile).jpg
    20150620_123545 (Mobile).jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 101
Is the trailer loaded cause it's not level.

When changing lanes just ease it over barely moving the steering wheel.

Heres a good video for the settings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCKveEGHVgY

Keep your speed under 65 and double your stopping distance.

Something you didn't ask but need to know never ever veer for animals it sad but true. Sooner or later you will see a deer in the road Do not jerk the steering wheel trying to avoid it.

Thanks, good videos, guess I need to have some check for brake lockup and adjust accordingly.

Trailer is empty, they needed to use all the links on the chain (7), they said that it works. I did not get the WD from them so they were a little hesitant installing it for me and I don't blame them.

Oh and the road I am parked on is not level.

Trailer will settle when weight is added correct and transfer the weight to the vehicle frame right?

Should I drop the ball mount one hole down on the shank?

You are going to have to have loaded before you can adjust and fine tune it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkewkvU8Ot8

Now the last couple of things I would suggest before the trip is to clean the radiator and tranny cooler. I use the foamy engine cleaner spray it through the grille and hose it off.

When was the last time the tranny was serviced.

I've kept up on the maintenance thanks for the advice(replaced fluids, belts/hoses/brake lines/brakes), I only have 58K miles on the truck.

Haven't done anything yet with the fuel pump and I keep seeing posts about that. Hopefully when I get to Texas and the garage is built I can cut the access panel just in case it dies.

Adjusted my dropping the ball mount down one hole and tilting the head back some.  Trailer sits better now and the bars are tilted down slightly, not real clear in the photos.

Attachments

• 20150625_062927 (Mobile).jpg
    20150625_062927 (Mobile).jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20150625_062934 (Mobile).jpg
    20150625_062934 (Mobile).jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 56
That looks much better.

Back