• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

HOW TO REMOVE PAINT from CLADDING: Painted Cladding

Willow LS

So as you know, This avalanche is new to me.  The previous owner painted the cladding red, then painted it black again.  Does anybody have any idea how to get the paint off the cladding without damaging the plastic underneath.

Regular paint thinner should do it I would think. Soak a rag and wipe away. Might take some time and lots of cleaning but it should do the trick.

The only thing I would try is to take the cladding off and get a pressure washer and blast it off

Your probably going to paint it again because it's been sanded, if so you could try a spray on chemical paint/gasket remover.

Just be carefull and tape off and mask painted areas and/or remove as much cladding as possible, do a test in a small area first to figure out how long to leave it on.

It hasn't been sanded as far as I can tell. You can still see the texture from the parts where the paint is peeling and flaking.

That's why it pealing, poor prep and probably didn't use the right type of paint. If you don't want sand it smooth then you have to be very careful removing the paint. You can't scrape it, sand it or blast it. About the only way is chemically just try a small area and watch it closely, when it starts to bubble wipe it off.

Are you going to paint it again?

Alaska_AV. said:
I've blasted with walnut but was repainting anyway. chemicals suck but done that also.

X2

I really wasn't planning on painting it again, but I guess I may have to. I'm not really looking for the color matched look. But it looks bad with all the flaking.

Besides Walnut shells, I think for plastic they use soda. Look for a someone who does soda blasting in your area and talk to them, but either way I think it will change the finish. I would take off one of the smaller pieces and have it soda blasted and see how it comes out and then put some Refinish Restorer on it and see if that brings it back. At least then if it looks real bad you only have a small piece to replace. Can't get worse, right. Or worst case you have to paint it and most of the prep will already be done.

Scroll down and watch the videos...

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=At5wVXZ3JfLvicj_f.kHH0mbvZx4?fr=yfp-t-901-s&toggle=1&fp=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&p=soda%20blasting%20plastic%20parts

you can also use a product like Bumper coat, cladding paint after removing the bad paint. looks good and lasts long. love the stuff

Back