• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Removing dealer or GM rust protection...

strange

So I was looking up into the wheel well for the spare tire the other day, and I noticed that much of the rust protection material is flaking off.  It's kind of like a thin sheet tar or something, and it covers much of the underbody and frame.  Where it is missing, the under metal is exposed and there is surface rust.

Any thought as to what to do?  I'm thinking of removing the existing material and getting the truck oil sprayed - after I wire brush all the rust off!

Michael

Got PIcture?

Go to search and enter the word undercoating. Read about my issues with GM and the dealerships.  About this issue. Also GM has issued a TSB on this very issue. It's not a recall but they are aware it's a issue. It will tell you and thedealerhow to fix it. Also google Gm truck frame rust. It's a issue with the2014 and 2015 silverodoe and tahoes and yukons.

I have the same thing plan on removing and put on por15 someday. That stuff didn't protect anything. I think will treat it like a body lift and raise the body if possible so I can get to the top easier I hope. I don't ever plan on buying another truck so I think it's worth the effort.

I'll work on a few pictures - should have thought of that myself! 

I kind of like "Fluid Film" as a coating and a protectant (it's like an oil and wax combo...), but as I too intend to keep this truck for at least a good ten years, I would like to this job right.  If there is a better product to apply to the frame and such, I want to know about it.

WVa, I'll do that search you suggest and report back here...  ( damn - I do truly hate the winter salt and the consequent rust!!)

Thanks for the support!

Michael

I am starting the same process on my AV and my brothers Tahoe. We are scraping the loose coating off and wire brushing the metal. Then we are degreasing it. He is going to use the POR15 and I am going to use Eastwoods Factory Frame coating. the POR is a little glossier than the Frame Coating.

Eastwoods HD Anti rust is great for covering any bare spots on the frame. Just wire brush any light rust and spray it on, use two or three light coats and when it dries it looks close to the original coating but is better. If you have heavy rust then there's the Rust Encapsulator.

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-heavy-duty-anti-rust-in-black.html

http://www.eastwood.com/paints/rust-solutions.html

Back