• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Rubber tailgate bumpers-where to get replacement ones?

half-breed

Charter Member
Just picked up a 2003 EXT and both rubber bumpers are missing from the tailgate. Where can I get replacement ones? They are the same as the avalanche ones.

Here is the rubber bumper on my avalanche:

d93771b1c3191a4baf6f667ad65169dd_zps826c4609.jpg

Missing on the used EXT we bought:

d724c2717055a1dbce772ba1fb3b2399_zps59493e4c.jpg

A rubber bumper. ?

Where is it located.

Those little gray rubber thingy's that go on those pants tearer prongs,  dealer or junk yard as far as I know, some have just cut the prong thing off totally!  Good luck in your search.

Didit

I think this is the part number... It's about $5.00-$6.00...

PN-16640464

Learned something new, I've never seen those.

Mine disappeared a long time ago, I replaced them and then they were gone again so I just left them off.

You have to be carefull leaning over them, they will rip your T-Shirt...

THey do help kepe tailgate tight and quiet.

Junkyard always comes to mind

Wow.

I always wondered what went there.

Definitely a clothes ripper if you aren't careful.

If you locate some, post up the details and I may try to snag a couple, as well.

Yeh, those little SOB's get knocked off so easily . .. . ..   . . .   .. when you replace them, clean and then smear their mounting tangs with some MEGA BLACK ($4.99 for a 0.75 ounce tube of Silicone Gasket Maker, or equivalent, it is good from -100 to +650 degrees) and also smear some around both sides of the bumper at the slot to make a "fillet." After that it is pretty much impossible for the bumpers to get accidentally knocked off again.

Back in the day I tore a pair of first-worn jeans on that dayam tang where the bumper had gone missing .. .  .  :mad:

:B:

P.S. The Cadillac and Chevy part are the same part . . .. . ...

Just a little update, found some for a Silverado Dorman 45679 for 10 bucks and they work fine.  I may turn them around and glue them on because I know they are in the way when loading stuff. I'm a little tired of ripping clothes.

0516151308_zpsob81vwaz.jpg

0516151307_zpspdpdmzqk.jpg

Wow  you learn something new every day... After tearing a couple pairs of jeans I think those rubber bumpers are cheaper...

And glue them on for sure...

Back