• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Clear Coat Peeling

Sam1114

Hey everyone. I have a small problem. On the rear bumper on the passenger side the clear coat is peeling off and I am not sure how to stop it from continuing. Any pointers? Its happening in small spots and just doesn't look to good for the future. I feel like once I begin to wash it more when the weather is nice it will peel away more. What should I do to stop this?

Thanks

I have the same problem. I am okay with it though, I am building a new rear bumper and a roof rack over spring break so I am not worried about it anymore

Mine isnt on my bumper its mostly right behind my back right tire. Should i be really concerned?

Sam1114 said:
Mine isnt on my bumper its mostly right behind my back right tire. Should i be really concerned?

If it is behind the rear tires I would venture to say that:

1. The clear is thin in that area and road debris has nicked the clear and its started peeling around the edges.
2. That panel has been repainted at some point in time and it hasn't been done extremely well.

All in all, I would suggest taking it to a shop and see if they can give it a sand and just re-clear the quarter panel from the body line that runs a long the tail light down and blend it in. In my experience, once paint/clear coat starts peeling there isn't much of a way to stop it unless you redo it.

Luckily for you, its in a spot where a re-clear and blend would be relatively simple and shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg

Thank you 4x4dreamer. I am going to be looking into that soon. What am I looking at for a payment? you said it wont cost an arm and a leg but what am I looking at.

Sam1114 said:
Thank you 4x4dreamer. I am going to be looking into that soon. What am I looking at for a payment? you said it wont cost an arm and a leg but what am I looking at.

I would hate to try and put a price on it because all shops are different. Like mentioned above, some shops give free estimates. I would ask around and find a reputable one in your area and pop by to have them look at it.

Like 09chevyavy said, the couple hundred dollar range would be my guess as well as I cant imagine it being more than a few hours of labor and supplies not costing all that much.

Let us know if you take it to a shop and what they say. Also, if the peeling is a result of road debris, I would suggest a set of moulded plastic mudflaps to keep the debris from hitting the paint

Do you have a photo of the spot where it is peeling

I can take a picture of the spot where it is peeling tomorrow during the day. There is a minor scrape on it that I believe the peeling started from. I will have to take a closer look tomorrow.

Back