• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Spark Plug & Wires Recommendation

Phosphorous

Just hit 100k miles on my 2003 Z71 1500 and I figure it's time for new plugs and wires. Does anyone have any recommendations for plug wires? I don't need the best, just a good solid wire and plug. I see lots of cheap ones on eBay but I am always weary of them.

Spend the money and get MSD wires.  8.5mm thick over 7mm OEM.  I put 10mm on one time on a Range rover and saw 3 mpg increase.  Thicker wire isn't snake oil, they work.

NGK plug.  Went with the copper ones and will change them again in 40K or so, if not sooner.  And still will be ahead of the platinum prices.  Bigger wires are nice too, but they get expensive.  Just find a good wire with a lifetime warranty.

Heres what I did (rockauto part#'s included)  I think I also got a rebate on the plugs which I'm not sure if you can still get...

ACDELCO 9748HH Spark Plug Wire Set $ 47.79 $ 0.00 1 $ 47.79
NGK 3186 Spark Plug $ 2.30 $ 0.00 8 $ 18.40

I ended up going with the stock AC Delco spark plugs, PN  41-962  $5.24ea from Amazon.

I also went with MSD ignition wires, PN 32829 from Amazon at ~$71.

Did all of the work myself - it was fairly easy and took about 2 hours for a first timer and that includes a run to the store to buy a spark plug socket.

I can detect no real performance difference.

I use AC Delco plugs and wires.

Back