• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Finely made it into the 12s

Butch

Charter Member
SM 2004
SM 2003
Got back from Epping late yesterday..., managed to get a 12 second time slip late in the day... Went 12.97@102.31.... 60ft was 1.69... I upped the Nitrous to a 100 shot and ran at 11 lbs of boost..... Ran the truck in full street trim cargo box covers, spare tire, closed exhaust, and a half tank of fuel.......
I did run Nitto E.T.s on all fours and ran in Autotrac... I did run the Cryo system.., but I didn't get the results I was hoping for from it..., so I had to up the Nitrous to get the power I needed to do it......

All in all im pretty happy... I reached the goal I had hoped to..., to get this big Heavy truck into the high 12s with the 5.3.... My next move with be the Intercooler when Whipple has it ready, and a couple of other things Im working on..., so far my beefed up Drive Train is holding up well.., did a trans flush and filter change tonight, all looked good there.., changed the front and rear diff fluids.., no metal on the magnets and nice clean fluid...... I made two Dyno pulls with the 100 Shot last week just to check the Air/Fuel...., made 447 rwhp.., so thats what it takes to push one of these things into the 12s.., and just barley at that.....

But I do have a Grin on my face ;)

Great news Butch! Congratulations!

HSDS... an av in the 12's. Must be an awesome thing to watch go by the finish line. What sort of reaction did you get from the others at the track?

maybe one of these times you can share a video clip with us.

That would be FFFUUUUNNNNN to see!1

Butch,,,

Kudos buddy ... Really ! ... That is absolutely awesome ... Now, please tell us what lined up next to you throughout the night... And then tell us the stories about how their mouth hung open ! ... >:D

Now I would like to see what you would run if you were sans the tailgate, hard covers, spare tire, jack, bed mat, glove box and console contents ... I would say solid 12's for sure without a struggle ...

BTW, did your tuning hold up with the extra nos? ... Or did you have to watch running the 100 closely ?

Oh, hey, do you pull the front prop shaft when you dyno ?

11H

OUTSTANDING (y) - had to be a great moment for you - keep this up and you will have to pull the seats and install roll bars >:D

I knew you had to get 440+ rwhp to do that LOL

Dont feel bad about the Cryo, many peeps had problems with it in referrence not getting the results they were looking for, the only ones who are getting the results are in ricers.

Good job.

I do beleive you have the quickest AVY now seems you beat GXX time by about 1.5ish seconds.........We need VIDEO.................

Thanks Guys.., I am pretty Happy to have finely done it..., to answer some of your questions 11H..... I used my Nx Progressive controller to add the 100 shot progessively.., it took some programming and a bit of tuning, but it worked out very nicely... I do run a Window switch also to make sure im not on the juice if I hit the Rev limiter..... I did also spray through the shifts which was a bit risky, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be........

I was just running time trials.., so I was running agains't a lot of different cars, and trucks.., some a lot faster.., and some a lot slower than me..., but my two Sweetest runs where agains't a Modded Ford Lightening.., beat him by about two truck lenghts... He was shaking his head when we met up in the pits.., came over to me.., looked over my truck.., and said nice job, and Dam that thing is Quick... He was a good guy and we spent some time talking about what Mods we had done........ My secound sweet run was agains't a new Dodge 1500 Hemi..., he had done a lot of mods on it.., Heads, Cam, Headers, Converter.., and a few other things.. He thought He was pretty Bad.., until He got Pounded by Me.., and the guy with the Lightening.. He was running in the 13s though...... I Hammer a couple of ricers to..., but got Hammer by one myself..., dont know what it was, cause I cant tell them apart..., but it was Wicked Quick running in the 10s.....
All in all it was a fun day and I was pretty pleased...., but im already looking to go to the next level.... Im itching to get the Stroked 6.0 finished and in the truck.., but im having to much fun with the 5.3 still... I thought it would have given up the ghost by now..., but im starting to think it may just live a normal life, even under this kind of Stress.., pretty Amazing......

As far as how I Dyno the truck.., no I dont remove the front drive shaft.., but you know I was just thinking the other day..., what if the Autotrack transfer case decided to Screw up during a Pull, and shift into Autotrack or Four Wheel Drive..., Hummmmmmm..., might not be pretty...... I wonder how much load those tie down straps can hold ???
I actually Dyno the truck in full street trim, through the exhaust system., and even with the 33.5 B.F.G.s that I run on the street on it.., so I know those tires are eating up some Horse Power.., and the Higher Stall converter also Skews the numbers..., but I dont look so much at what the numbers are.., just what improvements the changes are making.., and as long as there going upward..... I know im getting somewhere.... Ive seen a lot of different numbers for similar setups and combos..., i think the operator and the Dyno have a lot to do with it.......

Butch, that is incredible you have an AV in the 12's, great work. About the hemi ram, I did not think anyone made a cam or stall converter that I am aware of, the guy might be full of it.

Alex

just wondering.... with the power you are getting out of the 5.3..... whats the expected lifetime of the engine before rebuild is needed?

Grey_Av :B:

Butch,,,

I was under the impression that the autotrac system even when in 2HI had some "grab" on the front driveline ... Wouldn't that be sumthin if you pulled the front prop shaft and got some more power? ... LOL ... Bet you're thinkin' bout dat now...

I was told by one of the techs at ProDyno that they "always" pull the front shaft on autotrac ...

I am wondering if there is an adjustment in the T case that allows full slippage or disengagement in 2HI, and the fact that some have burnt up autotracs may have been out of adjustment ? ... Who knows why they put that decal under the hood ...

Ya, I could see you revving 5500 RPM with that much power and some "passer-by" bumps "AUTO 4WD" ... Doh !

Better hang on !

11H

Well Gray-Av thats a good question.., Im surprised its still in one piece., really though its not showing any signs of problems., still makes the same 50 lbs of oil pressure at idle as when it was new, and just under 80 above 4000.. I pull the plugs frequently and have not seen any bad signs.., always good color, clean and oil free, no specs of aluminum on the insulators... Ive leak down tested it 5 times so far.., no changes in the numbers.., slight increase the last few times, rings have taken there finale set.... Ive got 15,000 miles on it now...., I broke it in on Dino oil, then switched over to Red Line Synthetic at 4000 miles.., its a bit of over kill but I change the oil every 2000 miles.., because I dont do a lot of long highway driving., so it doesn't get to burn off condensation and fuel contamination.., so I just like to keep good clean undiluted oil in the engine..... I check the pcv valve regularly to make sure its clear and im not sucking oil into the cylinders... I just stay on top of the maintenance.. My many years of Drag racing and Boat racing taught me that, that is very important........

no signs of oil and metal cause of inceration in the engine with that NOS.... LOL

Awsome truck Butch.... any plans on getting into the 11's ?

Grey_Av

just wondering.... wanna sponser a fellow member with some of that mod cash you got.... I could use a lift kit.... ;D

Well done Butch, not many folks can claim a modded lightning kill. (y)

If your into the 12's with the 5.3 you should be awesome with the 6.0. >:D

Joe

I know this thread is old...but ygmn just pointed it out to me....I'm comin' after that time...last night (first time at the track ever) I ran 13.666...next stop 12's.
Have you done anything else since?

Back