• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2005 Avalanche Z71 MPG

Weezul

I recently bought a 2005 Avalanche. The Average MPG readout says I am getting around 12.5 to the gallon. Most of my driving is city with maybe 10% highway. According to the VIN, I have 3.42 gearing and the tire size is stock. Is this average for the city? The original sticker says 14 city and 18 highway. I've checked the tire air pressure and it is correct. Tires are Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2. The air filter is also brand new.

First welcome to the site!

That is about average for in town city stop and go driving. It can vary based on driving style and the on board DIC computer is not always accurate. Other then proper maintenance the best thing for gas mileage is to drive it like an old man and be gentile on the gas pedal and brakes. This is a 6,000 lb. vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick.
It does get better if you get it on the highway and can just cruise without all the start and stops.
You may want to reset the DIC computer and give the AV time to learn your driving style.
Good luck and I hope you have many happy and safe miles in your AV!

Thanks! I reset the computer with my first fill up. I went from a 98 Jeep Wrangler on 35s as my DD, so I understand the aerodynamics. A friend with an 04 quad cab Chevy 1500 with the 5.3 and has a Bullydog GT and he gets around 16 mpg in the city. He said he got about 3 mpg out of it. Debating trying that to see if it helps any.

The fact that it's really cold in the most of the US does not help with mileage either.

MS03 2500 said:
The fact that it's really cold in the most of the US does not help with mileage either.

Or winter blend gas, warmup times (assuming you do so), etc.

My '05 averaged ~14.5 with half of that being highway, so 12.5 for full city seems about right.

I average around 13.5 with 50/50 city/highway. But I have 4.10 gears. They are a blessing and a curse...

Warmups, idling and the cold Midwestern weather have knocked me from 16.5 MPG city in the summer down to 13 MPG.

You may have it on the answer to an issue I found, during the winter I get error codes (fuel mixture too lean). Generally when it gets below freezing. I will try a fuel stabilizer this winter to remove the ethanol and water.

I average 13.5 city, 15 combo and 21 highway at 70 on flat road with a 3.42 axle.

Back