• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Towing with my 1500 Avy. Sagging..........what to do?

Piranha-z

Hey guys. It's been awhile and usually that's a good thing! Truck has been running strong with very minimal issues. Getting up around 180+K and still loving it.

So I sold my smaller enclosed snowmobile trailer and bought a 20' enclosed aluminum inline trailer. It's heavier than my other trailer and the back of the truck is really sagging when I get it all loaded up. I have the weight distribution correct on the trailer but it's just squatting too much for my liking. I just had the rear shocks replaced less than a year ago. Is there anything I can do to level it out? Also, years ago I had lifted the front with different torsion bar keys to level the truck out. I hate the look of a truck that is higher in the back than the front. Could this also be contributing to my problem???

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

2004 Avalanche Z71

What is the TW of the new trailer? I have a 32' camper trailer that weighs 5k empty, and has a TW of about 750. I have a WD setup but still get about 2"-3" of drop with it all hooked up. I too hate how it looks and have thought about bagging the rear end to better support the weight.

Air bags is what you need. Most folks use firestones.

Like the other two have already said, add air bags in the coil springs and air them up when you are towing.

I wanted to add a comment for your question about leveling the truck some time back contributing to the rear sagging. It's not so much the front adding to the issue as it is the appearance when you add the trailer weight. The rear is sagging a normal amount but because you raised the front, the rear is now lower than the front when loaded. That's the reason GM designs the rear-rake attitude into the truck, so that it is level when loaded.

MyBigToy said:
Like the other two have already said, add air bags in the coil springs and air them up when you are towing.

I wanted to add a comment for your question about leveling the truck some time back contributing to the rear sagging. It's not so much the front adding to the issue as it is the appearance when you add the trailer weight. The rear is sagging a normal amount but because you raised the front, the rear is now lower than the front when loaded. That's the reason GM designs the rear-rake attitude into the truck, so that it is level when loaded.

Yeah, that makes sense. I think the only good option would be to bag the rear then. Is there a lot to that? I'll do a little searching also.

Thanks guys, appreciate the help!

My trailer TW is about 600 lbs. I use the weight distribution system (Blue Ox) and airbag and it helps, but still a little sag. Becareful of the amount of air in the bags, they take 35lbs max, I usually have 20 lbs that worked good, but still a little sag. I tried to put in 33lbs....it popped the hose off the airbag. Got it fixed, but now I have the dreaded slow leak. Crap. 

Ok... SO, I'm not trying to sound like a D***, but are you hooking the WD up right.  I had a camper with a 750lb tongue weight but I had no sag.  I don't have any air bags or anything like that with WD set up.  Even when I hooked up to my father-in-laws 28 ft. trailer I had no sag. 

Well hell maybe there was something done to the rear.  I did buy this thing used.

TBH, I feel like a jerk posting this. :damon:  :cautious:

Willow LS said:
Ok... SO, I'm not trying to sound like a D***, but are you hooking the WD up right.  I had a camper with a 750lb tongue weight but I had no sag.  I don't have any air bags or anything like that with WD set up.  Even when I hooked up to my father-in-laws 28 ft. trailer I had no sag. 

Well hell maybe there was something done to the rear.  I did buy this thing used.

TBH, I feel like a jerk posting this. :damon:  :cautious:

No worries man. Been pulling trailers for a long time. I have it weighted properly and it pulls like a dream. Spent a lot of time getting the sleds positioned properly so the WD is correct. It's just that I don't like the sag. TBH, it's probably just the fact that my front end is higher than stock. I never had the issue before because it was a smaller, lighter trailer. I guess I can either drop the front end back down or run bags. Or heck, just leave it the way it is, but it looks weird IMO.

Yeah, I had a suburban that would sag like that in the rear, but after I got the wd for the trailer it was towing, it didn't sag anymore. Well if I had the option, I would throw some bags in the rear.

Yeah it depends on what type of trailer you have, the WD hitch acts like a wheel barrow and will push the weight to the front wheels.

Now my 31 footer has to have a WD hitch because it has only 2 axles the other 34 footer has triple axles and is much better balanced.

PS no I do not have air bags, but the WD hitch has to be dialed in for the trailer. You can not bolt it on and don't expect it to work right also don't lift or level if you tow.

Purpose of WD hitch is to get rid of sag and keep tongue weight around limit of 500 pounds per hitch.

Is it expected to be perfectly level with WD? Or is 1 to 2 inches lower consider sag or still in tolerance?  Most WD company's say a couple of inches lower is normal. Experience?

That is why GM trucks have the front rake (front is lower than the rear). When towing it's level

Air bags make a huge difference when towing! Really makes for a more in control feel.one of the best things I did. (y)

I was thinking about this thread.  And I was just thinking, when you hook up the WD hitch, you're supposed to jack the truck And trailer to level, and then hook up your chains.  Then you take the weight off the trailer.  At this point your, if your hitch is set to the right height, your rig should be level.  Some people sometimes forget that step.

Yep you just can't bolt it on, you have to dial it in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIS4NYDaWhk

Back