• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Turbo help and questions

Dakotawilk

Hey so I have a friend that found a turbo in the trash and he's not Shure if he's going to use it I want to know if there's a way if I can test it also if I can make it fit.  I don't have a name or anything just some pictures let me know what I should ask him to see if it's going to fit here's the pics thanks in advance!
8E0A3422-E29C-4808-9491-5E12CA847EF5_zpscq0h9vnj.jpg

C42137BA-E105-43D3-9564-D6B50B738E91_zpso0tc4dpd.jpg

7DB94508-DAAA-4ABB-A0A1-EFF11E6D2574_zpsvmdwede6.jpg

Just a guess but if it was in the trash it will need a rebuild and hard to tell the dimensions in the pictures but the because of the color, it looks like it may have come off an Onan diesel generator and probably too big to use on a Av and would have terrible turbo lag with out major modifications..

Randy said:
Just a guess but if it was in the trash it will need a rebuild and hard to tell the dimensions in the pictures but the because of the color, it looks like it may have come off an Onan diesel generator and probably too big to use on a Av and would have terrible turbo lag with out major modifications..
If I have him measure the in and out takes of it would that help?

If it has any numbers on you may be able to get the specs on it. I could be wrong but I don't think you can use it, you need a smaller turbo to spool up faster.. Look at the turbo on this generator on ebay, look familiar. It's a little larger but close, that ones probably off a 60-80kw generator.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/125-KW-ONAN-DIESEL-GENERATOR-LOW-HOURS-LOAD-TESTED-/311293305855?rmvSB=true

Randy said:
If it has any numbers on you may be able to get the specs on it. I could be wrong but I don't think you can use it, you need a smaller turbo to spool up faster.. Look at the turbo on this generator on ebay, look familiar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/125-KW-ONAN-DIESEL-GENERATOR-LOW-HOURS-LOAD-TESTED-/311293305855?rmvSB=true
Sadly enough yes it does look familiar  :cry: was really hoping I coulda made it work OHH well I'll keep a eye out for something else thanks though!

Hey guys update again I found another one my buddy wants $50 for it but it needs a rebuild kit a rock got inside and bounced around destroying one of the fans. So big questions will it fit? Is it worth the parts to fix it all he said the rebuild kit would be $300.  Finially what else is entailed with doing a turbo what do I need todo to the truck and so on so that I can put it on the truck.  Also he thinks hat it is a Garrete turbo.  Here's some pics.
9C7E80CD-70EC-4FE4-898C-EA5BD20E7261_zpscy1wiywm.jpg

695187CD-6DAE-438A-96A6-C254916DEDC9_zpsscjsmmdo.jpg

7C04EFD7-D202-4517-989F-B14DB68E26E0_zpszy0l1npn.jpg

My question would be....what type of performance gain are you trying to get in your AV?  Maximum H.P. (Usually comes at high rpms) or off the line torque (lower rpms usually)?
Also are you just trying to get some extra performance for a cheap price?
I know you are young and your budget may be limited but I have found you usually get what you pay for and it can be like the old saying "penny wise and pound foolish".
Adding repaired and Frankensteined together parts on such a mechanically complicated vehicle as an AV can just be setting you up for reliability issues and future problems.
I have looked at forced induction options for an AV and in my .02 opinion I feel a supercharger is possibly better for our heavy AVs since it adds torque right down low in the usual rpm range most of us drive in.
Either way with a turbo or a supercharger I would look at a factory website for the products and see what parts they recommend for it to be a complete kit. That way you know all the parts needed to make it work properly and not damage your AV. A complete kit would also make your install easier and they usually have a warranty attached too.
I know that doesn't satiate the desire for immediate gratification but maybe you could find a kit on EBay or somewhere when you have some money saved up and be able to get it quicker?
Good luck with your search.

Make sure the $300 rebuild kit includes the broken pieces.  I know my centrifugal supercharger's rebuild kit just included bearings and seals.

Besides the turbo you'll need the plumbing for it, both air in and out, both intake air and exhaust air, as well as most likely oil feed.  If the turbo is mounted low you'll need a pump to return oil back to the oil pan - if high gravity can do that for you.  You'll also need bigger fuel injectors and most likely either need to change your fuel pump or add an inline auxiliary booster pump.  You'll probably want to add a boost gauge to see what boost level you are running.  You should add a fuel pressure gauge to make sure you are not starving the fuel injectors.  You should have a way of measuring wide band O2 levels.  You'll need a custom tune.  That should just about cover it unless you want to also add an intercooler and/or water/meth injection.  Then at some point you'll probably need to replace your tranny and rear end.

I really would like todo this but I am afraid that spending $50 on this will cost me lots more money to actually get it into place thats why I have been doing lots of reserch.  I was starting to lean away from it becuase I will be going off to college soon I cant afford to blow up a motor.  So I have questions for enoniam if I want just some extra power I have just replaced the tranny I havent done anything with the rear end yet but if you had to put a price on what it would take to put it in the truck not counting the turbo what do you think? just for a budjet kind of add on and I would do all the tubing work. Along with install.

I'm going give some ballpark cost for new parts - obviously if you look for getting good used stuff your costs can go way down - surf the classifieds at performancetrucks.net.

Fuel injectors - $500
Booster fuel pump - $200
Exhaust plumbing - $200
Intake plumbing - $100
Oil plumbing - $50
Custom Tune - $300
Gauges - $500
Intercooler - $100
Water/meth injection - $300

As you can see if you buy new you're easily looking at needing another couple grand.

enoniam said:
I'm going give some ballpark cost for new parts - obviously if you look for getting good used stuff your costs can go way down - surf the classifieds at performancetrucks.net.

Fuel injectors - $500
Booster fuel pump - $200
Exhaust plumbing - $200
Intake plumbing - $100
Oil plumbing - $50
Custom Tune - $300
Gauges - $500
Intercooler - $100
Water/meth injection - $300

As you can see if you buy new you're easily looking at needing another couple grand.
Also it comes with the boost gauge for the turbo but do I run a large chance of blowing my motor? Do I need a intercooler? Maybe I get the turbo and use it as a mantel piece just pickup pieces as I go along because I can't swing all that before college.

Dakotawilk said:
Also it comes with the boost gauge for the turbo but do I run a large chance of blowing my motor? Do I need a intercooler? Maybe I get the turbo and use it as a mantel piece just pickup pieces as I go along because I can't swing all that before college.

You run a larger chance of blowing the tranny than the motor, unless you are careless with the boost levels and spark timing.

Picking up a piece here and there is probably what you need to do.

enoniam said:
You run a larger chance of blowing the tranny than the motor, unless you are careless with the boost levels and spark timing.

Picking up a piece here and there is probably what you need to do.
Couple more questions sorry but thanks so much for the help I have heard a couple people say if I were to add it to my truck with 202k on it I would need todo a motor rebuild. Is that true? Also even though I can get a turbo at a good price would I still be money ahead to go with a supercharger? And finially what would be my horse power gain?

Back