• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2009 av maintenance

09chevyavy

Hey guys, so I am trying to get a small list of things I need to do this spring/ summer to maintenance my 2009.
I am going to change the following:
Air filter
Fuel filter ( SOMEONE HELP ME WITH THIS PLEASE )
Powersteering fluid
Rear diff fluid ( NEED HELP WITH THIS ALSO)
Brake pads
Rotors

Should I change the timing belt? Spark plugs? Radiator hoses?

Is there anything else that I should do?

I want to try to freshen it up as much as I can so I know it runs right for a good while. All help is much appreciated

Well, you don't have a timing belt, you have a timing chain.

How many miles do you have on the AV?

Rear diff fluid isn't hard, although I've had a hard time getting the cover to seal after opening mine up.  I didn't initially replace the bolts, although GM says you should.  I ended up putting Stage 8 locking bolts on it and haven't had a leak since. 

To change fluid you basically open up the cover to let fluid out, replace cover using either a new gasket or RTV or both, then fill though a fill port on the passenger side ahead of the center of the axle - takes a 3/8 square socket drive.  Fill until it starts to leak out.  Need 2+ quarts of lube.

Spark plugs wouldn't hurt, neither would wires.

I don't change radiator hoses as much as some say I should, but I do change coolant.  Yours is probably due for a coolant change as I think it is only good for 5 years or 150K miles.

enoniam said:
Well, you don't have a timing belt, you have a timing chain.

How many miles do you have on the AV?

Rear diff fluid isn't hard, although I've had a hard time getting the cover to seal after opening mine up.  I didn't initially replace the bolts, although GM says you should.  I ended up putting Stage 8 locking bolts on it and haven't had a leak since. 

To change fluid you basically open up the cover to let fluid out, replace cover using either a new gasket or RTV or both, then fill though a fill port on the passenger side ahead of the center of the axle - takes a 3/8 square socket drive.  Fill until it starts to leak out.  Need 2+ quarts of lube.

Spark plugs wouldn't hurt, neither would wires.

I don't change radiator hoses as much as some say I should, but I do change coolant.  Yours is probably due for a coolant change as I think it is only good for 5 years or 150K miles.

Okay maybe its called the accessory drive belt instead? No cracks or anything just asking

The rear diff I get now thank you.

It is a 6 year old now cuz it was bought in 2008. So I will look into that. Thank ya sir.

Will look at the spark plugs and wires as well but I hear those can be a real pain. I am way below the rust/ salt belt so I am hoping they arent as bad to get out but I will make sure to spray them with wd40 a few days in a row to try to help the removal process.

I can do the air filter, coolant, power steering fluid, rear diff, brake pads, rotors. I still would need help with the accessory belt change and the fuel filter

I have searched online and just called the local dealership and a personal friend who also works on the NNBS trucks at another dealership as a repair guy and he said that from about 2005 and on the fuel filter has been integrated into the fuel pump and lasts around 100,000 miles. So I wont worry about that right now.

okay so a little bump on this one really quick

Looking into this more.

Rear diff-

New Cover:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrain-Differentials/GM-8-5in-8-6in-10-Bolt-Aluminum-Cover-Black.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=4041&t_pn=G%2f240-2021ALB

New gasket:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-rds550281/overview/

New cover bolts:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/arp-437-3001

What fluid should I get?

Radiator-

Still kind of unsure exactly how to do this but I plan on looking it up on youtube
Flush with distilled water
Fill with antifeeze and water 50 50 mix

Powersteering fluid-

Still kinda unsure how to do this exactly, help would be appreciated with how to do it and the fluid to do it

Spark plugs and wires-

Wires:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-32829/overview/make/chevrolet

Plugs:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ngk-3784/overview/make/chevrolet

Air Filter-

I plan on getting this kit from K&N:
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=63-3070

You may want to consider new brake fluid since you are changing all other fluids.

I have enough to do it stored in my little garage cabinet. Any suggestions on how to remove the fluid from the resorvior but get little to no air into the lines? Maybe suck almost all the fluid out of the tank, pour in new fluid and bleed breaks?

We use an old pump from a soap dispenser (cleaned out of course) to pump the brake fluid out of the reservoir, fill after sucking out as much as possible then bleed the brakes till clear fluid comes out.

Blackcomb said:
We use an old pump from a soap dispenser (cleaned out of course) to pump the brake fluid out of the reservoir, fill after sucking out as much as possible then bleed the brakes till clear fluid comes out.

A cheap $1.00 turkey baster from the Dollar Tree works good too! Hold onto it and use it over and over for different things..  (y)

Except basting a Turkey next Thanksgiving!  :laugh:

Hi all,  fairly new here but I saw this post so I have a few questions. I have an 09 AV Z71 with 42k that I just picked up in Sept.
Just had a P2135 code repaired at Chevy under "special warranty". As I figured , they told me ALL the things the truck will need within the next 2-6k miles. It consisted of the following things along with pricing.

Powertrain Components- Engine,Transmission, Drive Axle, Transfer Case      $201
Cooling System Serv                                                                          $175
Drive Axle Service                                                                              $395

This is exactly how and what was written on "their" quote sheet
Do these sound fair or not?  and wouldn't the Drive axle Service cover the Transfer cases??
Not sure. I had an 04 Z71 that I had from new that was only dealer serviced but my In Law worked there so I never saw a bill  :cool:

Any help would be great!
Thanks !!

400 bucks for a drive axle, my dealer charges 400 for a tranny flush.

Sorry for not being clear, this is just for the fluid services . I'm not sure what else they do or if there are any parts or gaskets or anything included in this price...

Back