• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

?? HU replacement and retain rear audio controls?

Jaydawg

I have looked all over the place and still unsure if its possible to install aftermarket HU and keep RAS functionality.  I am looking for a new HU but woudl like to still have use of the rear audio controls/system.  Is there a HU that works thats not OEM, if not then no biggie, kids will have to listen to ipods then.

Looking at Pioneer AVH-X4700Bs or possibly X5700BHS

Considered JVC or Kenwood with Dual Tuner if thats what is needed to keep RAS.  May install headrest screens at a later time.

Input and feedback welcome.

Thank you

At this time there is no way to use them. It is officially called RSE for rear seat entertainment.

Problem is that it will allow you to access whatever is available that the radio is not using. Such as radio if playing CD or vise versa or even XM radio if the deck is doing something else. Might even tie into the over head DVD if you have one.

You have to have a radio specifically designed to use the RSE and to my knowledge there are none other than OEM.

Rodney

Thanks for the reply.  (y)  Now to figure out all the adapters and order. 

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, there are two options available for the rear seat passengers. My avalanche has what's called rsa, or rear seat audio, and just has the option for the kids in the back to listen to something different than the parents up front. No dvd, no screens, just audio. My suburban has rse, for rear seat entertainment, with the overhead screen, dvd, all the good stuff. I've used the gmos lan 012 and the scosche gm21sr integration modules. The back seat stuff still works with the gmos lan 012, but not with the scosche. that's all I got. Cheers.

Back