• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Replacing the axle on an enclosed trailer for more lift

Thundertek2002

Hey gurus, I've got a 12ft v-nose enclosed trailer that I converted into a camper. My Av is lifted 6" and when connecting the trailer it sits at a pretty bad angle. I've tried a 6" drop hitch, but I really don't like the way it feels behind me. When stopping and accelerating at normal/careful speeds, I can feel it push my rear end down and lift it up. I didn't feel any of this when it was just a straight shot.

Additionally I want to take this trailer off the beaten path a little, so I need some more ground clearance. I've heard of people doing axle over spring swaps to gain an extra 4" or so, but I am also looking to go with wider/larger truck tires to make up for any added height.

I came across replacement axle and spring sets on Northern Tool and wondered if this would be a good alternative? Right now the hub sits up 6" above the axle on a right angled piece. I'm looking into a straight axle-to-hub to replace it, which would give me about 5-6" of lift right there. Plus the replacement kits have hubs that would fit a 6x5.5 truck rim/tire as opposed to the smaller 4 lug it has now.

I'm going to include some pictures of the stock setup as well as the replacement I found on Northern tool. Please take a look and let me know if this is something a person of average mechanical/construction knowledge can do in my driveway with some jacks and jack stands

thanks!

2irm5fm.jpg

2n7e92e.jpg

15gqmo0.jpg

ok1no5.png

20aw4lj.jpg

If what you have the trailer on is solid and level and well secured, I would use more than jack-stands under the trailer. You can not be over safe it only takes a second for things to wrong.
This should be an easy swap as long as you are not changing the spring mounting points on the trailer. If you need to reposition the trailer mounts then welding will be an issue. Looks clean under there but I would start spraying all mounting hardware weeks in advance. PB Blaster works well for this.

Back