• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

How to replace power steering pump? 2002 Avalanche 2500 8.1

rjl1417

Hello,
My power steering pump just stopped working, and I am picking up the new one today. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for things I might run into while I install it. I searched around a bit on the forum  but couldn't find much. If you could re direct me, or if you have any step by step instructions please send them over!

Thanks,
Robert

This forum is usually my first stop, and then youtube. I have all my you tube videos at the ready, but nothing beats someone from this forum who has done it.

On my way to pick up the pump now.

Open to any suggestions and help! 

You will need a pulley puller unless the new pump comes with a pulley on it. After reinstall and refill I recommend that you jack up the front end and do slow turn all the way left and right to help purge air. Do this without the engine running. Then do the same slow turn left and right with engine running. I have seen it take as much as 10-15 minutes to purge all air, especially with a hydro boost system. Make sure you have the correct tool for releasing the serp belt and belt reinstall.

Thanks for your response!

Great advice off to the parts store for a pulley puller.

Replaced it today. Everything went well. Funny thing is on the way to bring back the old unit for the core charge refund went over a bump. Bang the rear leaf spring on the passenger side popped off. . . Guess I have another project.

Well that sucks. Spring popped off what? If is leaf springs the springs sit on a perch at axle with u-bolts holding in place and the stack is strapped together at each end and the ends are bolted in.a

I am hoping it was just a shackle. Will find out tomorrow when I get a better look at it.

rjl1417 said:
This forum is usually my first stop, and then youtube. I have all my you tube videos at the ready, but nothing beats someone from this forum who has done it.

On my way to pick up the pump now.

Open to any suggestions and help! 

May I ask...How much did you have to pay for the pump?  Was it from a GM Dealer?  Mine seems to be leaking and needs replacing?

Back