• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

GM Flashpaq California Edition 2841 vs Max Energy Power Programmer Part #32500

J_One17

Iv'e read the forums all around let me start by saying i'm NOT looking for a custom tune at this time. I am slowly building up my truck going from stock to lifted. I plan on going up 1 tire size for now so i figured i would get a hypertech or Superchip programmer. I know for gear and tires size change both will do the job without issue. Since i have the ability to use the tunes and adjustment why not. My question is the those of you who have used the tuners. Any input on these two? The reason why i picked these two is because they have received E.O. (Executive Order) numbers (CARB E.O. D-260-15) Hypertech and (CARB E.O. D-260-15) Superchip. They only listed difference i see is that superchip offers a tow tune. I read that superchips are tuned a bit more aggressive compared to hypertech.

My Avalanche is a 2002 5.3 z71

Cannot say anything about hypertech, never went that route. I do have a SuperChips 28xx model and it has been great. A tune from it really makes a difference on my 02 5.3L 4WD. The best results seem to be just adding a small amount of shift performance to the  transmission. (I also use the standard 89 octane gas feature; why bother with the waste of expensive premium gas!) The SuperChips tune range is also limited in all features so that you CANNOT add too much of anything where it would get you into trouble or cause damage. I also used it on my 04 Av (since sold) and it did great on that one too. Due to the Electronic Stability Control in the 04, the low end of the truck itself was always somewhat limited, even though it had more HP. My 02 would run rings around the 04, and the 02 seems to have a transmission with better overall performance. So with the great 02 transmission and the SuperChips, I could not be happier. I was also not looking to get 'major' with expensive engine performance mods.

Maybe someone will pop in here about the hypertech and you can get a comparison . . .

:B:

Oh yes -- if you go this route check with SC from time to time as they may on occasion offer a free download with improved files.

Thanks for getting back to me (y). Your info is greatly appreciated. Did you notice a difference with a combination of 89 tune and shift points? And have you used the tow tune?

I have used the Superchips before and wasn't overly impressed, the diablo intune or predator was much better in my opinion, are those not a consideration for you?

I used a Hypertech III before going to custom tuning.  I was happy with the Hypertech but the engineer in me wanted more control and with the mods I have done since beginning to do my own custom tuning that is the only way to go.

My Hypertech came with 87 and 93 octane tunes.  I tried the 93 octane tune and saw a slight increase in fuel economy but at the time it wasn't enough to pay for the extra fuel cost so I ended up running the 87 tune.  I was able to increase the shift firmness with it as well as the WOT shift points - I really enjoyed running the rpms up higher before shifting at WOT.  That alone really made the truck run quicker.

I ran Hypertech and Predator (no longer made, you now have a choice of the i1000 inTune or Trinity) programmers on my truck before I added the supercharger. I preferred the Predator as it had more adjustable parameters than the Hypertech. There have been several reports in the past of Superchips programmers fubaring the PCM.

You can probably find a used Hypertech, Superchips, or Predator programmer pretty cheap on eBay or Craigslist. Just make sure it has been unmarried before you buy it.

On the statement up top on "why run more expensive premium fuel?" Because higher octane burns slower and can make more power, if the engine is tuned or otherwise set up to take advantage of it.

And I know it's not one of the models you mentioned but i agree with Mybigtoy on the Diablo products. You get so much more control, flexibility and support from them. I used a Predator for several years before my custom tune.

I have considered Diablo but i'm trying.. (keyword) to keep my truck street legal here in California. I had issues with my Tahoe from all the mods i had on it that i want to try to avoid this time around. The two programmers are 50 states legal. They main reason to get them is so that i can reprogram for gear/tires size.. The tunes are not the main reason for buying them. Its more of a bonus for me. i just want to get feed back on them before i buy one. 

Back