• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2006 Z71 Heater issue

mleeber

Hope someone can help since winter is upon me?. I have an 06 Z71 and the heater just starting acting up. does not matter how hot I set the climate control I get cold air for a long time, even well after engine temp gets to the 210 degree operating mark. Eventually warm air will start but usually 30 minutes plus after the engine reaches operating temps and then the air is not really hot just warm. I have disconnected the battery and reconnected hoping to reset whatever might be the culprit but no luck.

Thanks!

One of the things you can check is the coolant level

MS03 2500 said:
One of the things you can check is the coolant level
What B said. I had this with one of my 05's the other day. Found out I have a leaky water pump and the coolant level was low.

ohiobellboy said:
What B said. I had this with one of my 05's the other day. Found out I have a leaky water pump and the coolant level was low.
x3  I've had the exact same issue with my vehicles in the past.  Low coolant in the winter = one very cold ride.

Thanks Guys!!!! I will check the coolant level! That would be the easiest fix I have ever had to make!

If it is low then you need to locate the source of the leak. Pressure test the system and look for coolant drops. If you have an extension mirror you can look under the bottom side of the water pump and look for wet and corrosive stain that is left when the coolant comes out the weep hole. Or you get lucky and have another easy fix by tightening a hose clamp. If it could be that easy every time I checked out something I would buy lottery tickets every day.

I am hoping for an easy fix?especially since my rear main seal has started leaking which is anything but an easy fix?. 130K miles and I have religiously used Mobil 1 hoping for 200K miles but apparently the seals are not up to the task. Mine is a Mexico build?not sure that has anything to do with it. Transfer case seems to be clunking too, I am afraid things are going to get expensive soon enough. Anyone dropped a small block 350 and Allison transmission in their Avalanche??? How durable is the aluminum 5.3 really?

mleeber said:
I am hoping for an easy fix?especially since my rear main seal has started leaking which is anything but an easy fix?. 130K miles and I have religiously used Mobil 1 hoping for 200K miles but apparently the seals are not up to the task. Mine is a Mexico build?not sure that has anything to do with it. Transfer case seems to be clunking too, I am afraid things are going to get expensive soon enough. Anyone dropped a small block 350 and Allison transmission in their Avalanche??? How durable is the aluminum 5.3 really?

FYI all AVs made were made in Mexico.
Don't get scared by reading the Problems section on this or any site, just remember the majority of owners don't belong to a membership site then only the ones with problems post threads. You won't see many threads like "I drove my AV today and nothing bad happened!"
You may want to read the threads about high mileage AVs such as the 100,000 or 200,000 Mile Nation etc. Or the threads that ask "If you had it to do all over again would you buy another AV?" Or ones where owners have or have had more than one AV. (several on here have had three at one time.)
You can also find many threads where owners have added a supercharger or turbo to their AV. Others have upgraded to a 6 liter or 6.2 motor. I believe one member also put in a diesel.

Vaeagleav said:
FYI all AVs made were made in Mexico.
Don't get scared by reading the Problems section on this or any site, just remember the majority of owners don't belong to a membership site then only the ones with problems post threads. You won't see many threads like "I drove my AV today and nothing bad happened!"
You may want to read the threads about high mileage AVs such as the 100,000 or 200,000 Mile Nation etc. Or the threads that ask "If you had it to do all over again would you buy another AV?" Or ones where owners have or have had more than one AV. (several on here STILL have had three at one time.)
You can also find many threads where owners have added a supercharger or turbo to their AV. Others have upgraded to a 6 liter or 6.2 motor. I believe one member also put in a diesel.
Fixed that for ya  ;D

Ron is dead on about finding the leak.

As Va said, lots of good reports here. Look at my siggy for a bit of a testimonial. I've had to replace two water pumps so far out of all that mileage. The most recent one coming on avy #3 at 146,000 miles. The beater is in the shop getting the tranny rebuilt right now at 154,000 miles. My '04 is sitting in winter storage. 173,000 with no major problems on it.

Coolant was quite low. Added just under a gallon. drove and checked for leaks, none present. will keep an eye on it. The reservoir is discolored which is why it does not look low.

Now, any easy fixes for a rear seal leak?

mleeber said:
How durable is the aluminum 5.3 really?

The truck 5.3's (other than the SSR which barely qualifies as a truck) are iron.

I've got about 288K miles on my 03's engine which has never been pulled and is breathing through a supercharger.  Knock on wood the only oil leaks I've got are on the supercharger's oil return lines.

Back