• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Electrical Issue

jdsittler

I have a 2007 Avalanche LTZ, just replaced the oil pressure switch for the low oil pressure issue. Now I have an unusual electrical problem when vehicle is started and running, all gauges fluctuate a lot basically bouncing all over the place. All the warning lights are on in dash, info center cycles thru all systems with multiple problems. Tried to plug in scan tool but will not communicate with vehicle. Engine runs ok. Suspect corrosion or poor connection for communication system or faulty ignition switch? I doubt that replacing the oil pressure switch and screen caused the problem because everything was fine on road test after repair.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Derek

I don't know about the rest of it, but your scan tool not communicating is almost certainly a blown cigarette lighter fuse. GM, in their infinite wisdom, put the ALDL power circuit on the same fuse as the cig lighter.

This has turned out to be a defective suspension control module over the spare tire. It corroded and shorted inside allowing 12v thru the data lines. Confirmed by a GM dealer that these are the symptoms of a defective suspension module and is becoming a common problem here in Ontario. The rear module also has data go thru it for the stabilitrak, ABS and traction control. So the module has to be replaced to turn off all these warnings. Unfortunately for me the compressor and rear shocks require replacement also. Looking at aftermarket solutions to replace the shocks and springs and getting a by-pass module to trick the system that everything is functioning normally. Just got this truck used.
If I had owned this truck from new I would be doing some preventative measures and sealing or rustproofing the module and compressor assembly.

Back