• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Pushed in Parking Sensor

TonyR0206

While wiping some snow away from my parking sensors on my 2011 LTZ my finger swiped across one of the parking sensors, pushing it in about a half inch. It pushed in with almost no effort. Thinking there may be a spring behind it, I tried to lightly push on it to get it to spring back out. It didn't. Any suggestions on how to pull it back out?

The parking sensor is held by 2 clips on top and bottom which are part of the larger plastic trim ring that is pressed into the bumper. So, you have your bumper with the 4 holes in it, then a plastic trim piece/ring is pressed into the bumper, then your sensor pushes in and snaps in place from behind the bumper with the second piece. Maybe it just unsnapped or a tab could have broke on the trim piece? Have to reach behind the sensor and push it into the trim piece, if it snaps in your good, if not, see what's broke? ( there is also an o-ring that sits around the sensor to keep it snug in the trim piece, make sure it's not keeping the sensor from popping in place) You do not have to remove the bumper for any of this.

Thanks! I'll try it once the temperature here in upstate NY gets out of single digits!

Just lay on a piece of cardboard on your back and look up under the bumper. All the sensors are below the steel. If for some reason your clips broke, there is no shame trying to dab some hot glue to hold the sensor in place for now.

Back