• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Driver 1/Driver 2 Settings affected 'learning' capability

gitnby

Read a post on this forum that said that the Driver 1 and Driver 2 settings also will program in unique driving 'habits' (shift points, etc) of each Driver?

Can't find anything anywhere that backs that up?

Anyone confirm or deny this?

I've mentioned "Learning" aspects of the GM transmission a few times over these past few weeks.

I am the only driver of my rig, but when others do get behind the wheel, I have them use the Driver 2 Setting. The truck shifts like it did when it was new. That was not pleasant compared to now.

I found this on the Cadillac Forums as it seems consistent with our transmission characteristics.

I'm not looking forward to go digging through my Owner's Manual.

Try this link for support. I don't believe it mentioned the Driver 1 or Driver 2 settings.

http://tinyurl.com/oj3ocqq

It's not that I don't believe you, but you would think something like this would be addressed in the Owner's Manual?

Cat Dancer said:
I am the only driver of my rig, but when others do get behind the wheel, I have them use the Driver 2 Setting. The truck shifts like it did when it was new. That was not pleasant compared to now.

I am skeptical that the transmission adapts for different drivers. I do believe, however, that the driver adapts for the transmission. For example, I can sense when the transmission is going to shift, and I ease off the throttle very slightly to let it shift more smoothly, almost as if I were driving a manual. After awhile it becomes instinctive and not something I am always conscious of, but I know I do it.

I almost never ride as a passenger in my truck. When my wife drives it, which is not very often, it seems like the shifts are harder than when I am driving. She does use the Driver 2 setting but I don't think that makes a difference. I believe the reason is that my wife is not used to the shift points and does not "encourage" the transmission to shift by feathering the throttle like I do. So I think if anything the differences are due to the driver and not the driver setting.

I don't know if this is helpful: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/78636-08-6-speed-with-adaptive-learning/?p=606436

I am not standing my ground or drawing a line in the sand with this issue.

Having owned 3 Avalanches from near birth, I can validate that something does interact with the shift points. My take on this is as much as I noticed this feature before discovering it in the OM, I wonder how this impacts the Service Fleet and/or Rental Pool Vehicles. With my 03, I was near the point of taking it in as I felt is was not right.

After posting the information from the Cadillac website, I looked at another lengthy article that went across the industry. As with components such as Cruise Control & Windshield Wiper Arms, Adaptive Transmissions are in use by every manufacturer, though each is different with their approach. It appears to be a very proprietary component for each auto maker.

I'd compare it to Breaking In a new horse. The vehicle finally understood what I wanted out of it or else.

Here is another link to chew on.  http://tinyurl.com/pwtd72q

Back