• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Thinking About Trying E85 Again.....

ltxi

SM 2014
SM 2013
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
After years of "I aint usin' that stuff no more" I'm thinking about going back for another try at E85. Local Reg E10 fuel price is currently $2.39. E85 is $2.02. Truck's running a Nelson 91/93 tune which can make good use of E85's much higher octane rating and requires use of the 30 cent or more/gallon premium over regular anyway.

Anyone want to mebbe talk me out of this potentially dumb idea?

It's worth a try, let us know how much the mileage drops.

ltxi said:
After years of "I aint usin' that stuff no more" I'm thinking about going back for another try at E85. Local Reg E10 fuel price is currently $2.39. E85 is $2.02. Truck's running a Nelson 91/93 tune which can make good use of E85's much higher octane rating and requires use of the 30 cent or more/gallon premium over regular anyway.

Anyone want to mebbe talk me out of this potentially dumb idea?

No good deed goes unpunished.

Sure the components of the system are supposed to work safely with high levels of alcohol, but If the engine is running great, why take a chance screwing with high levels of alcohol?

Used E85 quite a bit early in the truck's life. Up and rolling it ran quite well/better than with 91 octane E10 with my then 91 tune. But I had some funky, erratic, a bit long start issues. Especially when switching fuels. Discontinued use 'cause of that and because it became a real economic penalty. My mpg loss was around 25%. With a current, bit more aggressive tune, a roughly $0.70/gallon pricing advantage, less daily dependence on the truck, and fading memory for prior regrets I'm thinking about trying E85, actually E70 here during winter, again. Mostly for the performance advantage.

I'm trying to imagine what has changed since the last time you gave up on it?

I have no idea what the current price is but the short term octane type boost versus the degraded mpg would have to be significant to go back again.

I'd suggest to not mess with what is working correctly.

ltxi said:
Used E85 quite a bit early in the truck's life. Up and rolling it ran quite well/better than with 91 octane E10 with my then 91 tune. But I had some funky, erratic, a bit long start issues. Especially when switching fuels. Discontinued use 'cause of that because it became a real economic penalty. My mpg loss was around 25%. With a current, bit more aggressive tune, a roughly $0.70/gallon pricing advantage, less daily dependence on the truck, and fading memory for prior regrets I'm thinking about trying E85, actually E70 here during winter, again. Mostly for the performance advantage.

How well does it store or keep if you were to use the vehicle infrequently, say 7 to 10 days between driving and going for 20 or more days between filling up?

I'm better now....sobered up and scrapped the revisit E85 idea.  :cheers:

Off topic a bit, but stopped by gas station today to fill Honda's tank and Reg price was $2.01. Gas prices here just dropped $0.38/gal within the last week....!

Oddly enough I am thinking about running e-85 full time. I tried it for a while and my mpg improved to 20. now running regular fuel I have dropped to 18

You put e85 into a 2002 AV ???

I got you, I thought WOW you were brave. :laugh:

Back