• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

My 2013 Av Tranny Filter & Fluid Replacement

Chips_Av

So, I searched (even on Google!  :D) and couldn't find a thread on a '13 Av tranny filter replacement so I think I am safe in posting this for those who may find it of interest.

I am assuming I have the 6L80e as I have a 6-speed tranny?  Either way, it is done and works like a champ!

After reviewing many threads including on the Silverado truck forums, I felt I was ready to take a shot at doing my filter and fluid.  I read some horror stories, mostly on the other truck forums, but found my '13 Av tranny service was not that bad at all. 

Everyone was complaining about the shift linkage being in the way and having to remove two torx bolts from the top side of the tranny pan that held a bracket in place...the good news is, neither of these were an issue on mine.  The linkage wasn't blocking any bolts (as you can see below) and I couldn't find any bracket so I figured GM must have done something different for the Av.

20141214_100429_zpsrmy9my53.jpg

20141214_100326_zpsjecazky1.jpg

So, I used Valvoline Max Synthetic fluid and a new filter.  Like may others, I didn't replace the collar seal around the filter tube that snaps up into the transmission.  The original was fine.  I also didn't use a new gasket, nor did I use any gasket sealer.  There are two tabs on the gasket so it aligns itself nicely and stays in place when you put the pan in.  This is the gasket from edge view showing the alignment tabs at the top...they are the two protrusions...apologies for the poor quality.

20141214_112229_zpsjp9ub80l.jpg

I must say, getting the pan in and out was a bit of a challenge as the exhaust gets in the way.  I ended up having to take the gasket out by moving the pan around to give it clearance, then pull the filter out and let it fall into the pan, then maneuver the filter around to get it out of the pan, then I had to put a jack under the transmission and lift it up slightly to get the pan out.  All in all, it wasn't too bad, but I would have preferred if it just came straight out.  :D

One suggestion I took from others was to put a large piece of cardboard under the truck...this saved me a significant mess.  Do yourself a favor...if you do this, do the same.

This is what my pan looked like after 43,300 miles.  That is the factory fluid.  Notice the donut-like magnet on the left...it had a bit of metallic 'mud' on it.  Here are some before-n-after pics as well.

20141214_110920_zpsndzub88d.jpg

20141214_110939_zpspbdbnjtd.jpg

20141214_111134_zpsyuframob.jpg

20141214_111903_zpsizeimmff.jpg

Wipe the residual fluid on the bottom of the transmission with a clean cloth...

20141214_110857_zpsbarupofd.jpg

After everything was wiped down, I reversed the process and slid the pan back in, then the gasket, then dropped the filter into the pan and maneuvered it around and snapped it into place.

After everything was back together, I carefully tightened each bolt in a cross pattern similar to how you tighten a wheel.  I believe there is a bolt tightening pattern somewhere online if you care to reference it.  Either way, use caution when tightening, you don't have to crank these bolts down.  You will either warp the pan or strip the threads.

I believe I put about 6 or so quarts back in when I refilled it.  Afterwards, I checked for leaks and took her for a spin. 

Well, I sure hope this helps someone.  After reading others experiences, I learned a lot and felt it was my turn to pitch in.

Chip

(y) Good job and write up. This is one fluid I have yet to attempt on my vehicles (mainly because I trade every few years). I still might lean towards having this done vs. getting under there...

Nice write up.  I know there is a lot of debate over whether or not these new trucks (with new synthetic fluids) ever need to be changed.  I see your fluid didn't look too bad.

I changed mine (paid someone to do it) at about 80,000km.  I'm now looking at doing it again at 160,000km.

Thanks for the pics.  Need to tackle mine soon.  What brand of filter did you use?  Also what bolts did you have to loosen off to raise the tranny for the extra clearance?
Thanks

NM got it done and was super easy.  Two nuts for crossmember and a jack on the xfer case and pan came right out.  I used a ratchet strap on the exhaust to keep it in place while raising the transmission. 

I changed mine at around 80,000 miles at a local shop while they changed my oil as I was too busy to do engine oil and didnt wanna mess up the trans. It was making a whine noise when I would press the gas. Changed the fluid to see if that would help, and it did. Never heard it again. I will change it again around 110,000 miles just to make sure Ive got mostly good fluid in there and also to get that on a regular maintenance schedule.

I do know that I will be doing power steering fluid sometime this summer as well as a radiator flush. Any suggestions on those two things guys? I know power steering fluid I will replace with some dextron VI and I am just going to pull the hose off the bottom of the little fluid container and I have heard that that works. Radiator flush doesnt seem too hard but I would still like some pointers on that if anybody could help me out. Never really done it before

The exhaust will be in the way, manual says to disconnect it to make it easier to get the pan out.

joelowrider said:
hey did the exhaust pipe get in the way at all

RIF!  ;)

Chips_Av said:
I must say, getting the pan in and out was a bit of a challenge as the exhaust gets in the way.  I ended up having to take the gasket out by moving the pan around to give it clearance, then pull the filter out and let it fall into the pan, then maneuver the filter around to get it out of the pan, then I had to put a jack under the transmission and lift it up slightly to get the pan out.  All in all, it wasn't too bad, but I would have preferred if it just came straight out.

I did mine this weekend. I do it around 40K. its a pain on my 2014 Z71 but have it down pretty well. Drain the pan, loosen the top two torx screws for the shift bracket. Small hands help. I have to remove the two trans bolts and lift my tranny otherwise I cannot slide the pan out. it is a pain. The rest is pretty straight forward but the older I get the more painful it gets.

I use the Mobil 1 ATF. Seems to work well. Takes about 5 quarts for me as I have a transmission cooler.

Corndog...

Back