• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

'03 Just noticed my rear door lock doesn't move and no actuator movement.

redheadedrod

SM 2017
PM 2015
While working on my truck over the weekend I noticed the rear passenger door lock seems to be frozen. Luckily in the unlocked position.

The door lock on the inside will not budge at all and when you use the keyless entry fob to lock and unlock the doors that door does nothing.

I am thinking this is going to end up being the whole mechanism is frozen and need to be replaced.

If I am looking at the shop manual correctly it looks like the actuator, door lock, door open sensor etc are all one unit.  I have found them on Rock Auto but it talks about with and without anti theft system?

I need a little foresight before I dig into my door to understand what I am looking for.

The door still opens and closes fine.

Rodney

Ya may want to test the voltage at the plug.

Ok.. neither the "remote/automatic/electric" lock/unlock works nor the manual slide lock.

Not sure how checking the voltage at the plug will help? Will tell me if I have a bad relay but doesn't explain the lack of any movement at all. I am guessing at this point a seized lock actuator but it looks like the whole thing is one unit if I am reading the shop manual correctly. It talks about removing the rods and the connectors then unbolting it and removing it. Looks like it is all one piece.

It was working a week ago as far as I know.

Rodney

Not sure how they work and this does not sound like your problem but may be worth checking out before you tear into it........GM has child safty locks on the rear doors. There is a little black sliding switch on the door edge somewhere near the latch. Might try moving that and trying again.

Here is a link to the '03 owners manual about these locks: Go to page 2-11

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/resources/2003/owners_manual.html

Thanks for the safety lock thing but those just disable the inside handles and have nothing to do with the actual lock.

Guess I will have to tear into it and see how it goes. Will probably stop and get a couple prices before pulling the door apart. Probably making this harder than it is. Looked like it should take about 30 minutes to replace assuming no issues. 

Rodney

Take the panel off and disconnect the actuator. If it's frozen, it makes it real hard to manually lock/unlock. Once you have it disconnected from the latch, hit the fob and see if it moves like it should.

Check and/or replace the relays prior to checking the actuators. I did the same thing checking the rear door locking systems, to find a faulty/blown relay.

Back