• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

so many issues so lost

nyg3113

so ok ive had my 02 z71 since 07. Never had an electrical issue with it so im kind of at a loss.

heres whats going on-
1- no interior lights work when doors open OR when I push the button to turn them on. When their supposed to be on I get the "cargo lamp" message on the gauge cluster even tho  the bed lights don't work either. No fuses are blown or anything. Not sure where to look to try to find the issue.

2- My truck wont start when turning the key. It will start when I shift it from 3rd to 2nd to 1st. Someplace in between shifting through those it will start. But 3 times in the last month it started from turning the key.

3- When I take a right hand turn from a stop no issue, when I take one with speed the truck dies for a brief second, the radio restarts and the gauge cluster goes through the startup with the lights and such.

Nothing has changed on the truck it happened out of the blue. Not sure where to begin with it ive checked fuses and the connections on the lights. Hoping its a bad ground issue but not sure about the starting/dying issue. Any thoughts/help is appreciated

sounds like the ignition key cylinder is going on the truck ....

here is a thought on the lights ... could be related to above ... but have you tested to see if the lights are getting power ... dome light? ... be light? .... could be a bad ground?

no bad fuze? ... are you sure? .... check under the hood and dash? .....

check to see if your battery is bad?  .. maybe not giving enough juice?

Just a few ideas ...

John

If you research the problem make sure to get the info for a 2002, the electrical system changed after that. I agree with Intimidor, could be that ignition switch. Good Luck!

thanks for the quick replies guys.

tested the door courtesy light, getting no volts.
checked the illumination fuses under the hood and on driver side dash
battery is new and no issues with that

is there any way to test the ignition switch? I do have a full parts truck I could pull a replacement off of but would rather test it somehow first.

I had my check engine light pop on randomly and went over to advance to get a read. one of them which I thought was weird said "cargo lamp circuit" so that could be the issue with the lights since I get the "cargo lamp on" message when a door is open. could be related haven't done any research on it yet, wanted to reply to here first.

thanks again guys

May also have a problem with the neutral safety switch. Located on driver's side of trans if I remember right.

raiderron said:
May also have a problem with the neutral safety switch. Located on driver's side of trans if I remember right.

good call. one of the other codes from advance was p0706- transmission range switch. was going to check it out tomorrow.

Back