• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Class IV hitch for an 08??? Anybody upgraded

seancarsonallen

PM 2015
Want to upgrade my factory hitch to class IV for my 08 LTZ.  Cannot seem to find one. :E:

anybody know which one will work?

Ya probably want to change the hitch on your AV if it is a stock one.

the oem one tends to twist, as its just a tube. Best bet is to upgrade. Can you do it, yes. just keep an eye on the hitch.

I got a Curt 14080 .  It is a perfect fit.  You need to trim the rear plastic a bit though.

A good thread about it here:
http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,132567.0.html

JohnnieMo
You are a life saver!  Thanks for the recommendationa and photos.  I'm ordering the same unit now.

Noticed you installed the Corsa touring product.  I'm considering.  Noticed any improvments (hp, mileage...) Thoughts?

seancarsonallen said:
JohnnieMo
You are a life saver!  Thanks for the recommendationa and photos.  I'm ordering the same unit now.

Noticed you installed the Corsa touring product.  I'm considering.  Noticed any improvments (hp, mileage...) Thoughts?

Yes, I noticed a huge performance gain.  I'm not sure if it was the supercharger, or the Corsa though..  >:D

Honestly though, I don't think you'll get a performance gain that is noticeable from cat-back exhaust.  Just my opinion.  It is for the sound.  Most guys prefer the Sport version though.  The Touring is rather quiet, unless you are running boost.

Glad I could help you out!  I got lucky on that Curt.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I have searched everywhere for one and cannot find one that would fit there correctly everyone has told me no you have to keep with the stock one

09chevyavy said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I have searched everywhere for one and cannot find one that would fit there correctly everyone has told me no you have to keep with the stock one

Everyone saying that is running a Gen 1 Av.  There are at least two I know that work.  A Drawtite 41930 and a Curt 14080.  The Drawtite requires some spacers and is hard to find since they don't build it anymore.

I'm not sure why people say its not possible.

JohnnieMo said:
Everyone saying that is running a Gen 1 Av.  There are at least two I know that work.  A Drawtite 41930 and a Curt 14080.  The Drawtite requires some spacers and is hard to find since they don't build it anymore.

I'm not sure why people say its not possible.

Does the Curt hitch fit a 2011?  I would assume if it fits one gen II, it would fit all gen II's.

Alright, good to know!  I certainly want to get a bit more substantial hitch on there.  Even though I don't currently tow anything anywhere close to 8k (2k or 3.5k are the norm), the factory hitch does seem to be a little "light" in construction.

JohnnieMo is right.  Installation is a breeze and even though the websites and retailers tell you it is not for our Avy's, it does work well.

I relocated the wire harness too as suggested.  A little nervous while cutting but all turned out fine.

They just tell you it doesn't work because you have to modify your bumper for it to work. It is not listed but there are MANY examples of people doing them.

I may change mine over at some point too.

Rodney

I guess i know now what my next project is after I get aux lighting. I tow a good bit on a regular basis. Thanks for the info.

Side question: since you had to relocate the wire receiver, has anyone added a second one? I was thinking for aux trailer lighting / load lighting. Would be nice to have a separate switch in the cab to control lighting on the trailer.

I'm looking at ordering a new receiver tomorrow.  Either the Curt or the Draw-tite.  It's my understanding that the draw-tite spans back further on the frame than the Curt.  Is this true?  Also, someone above said spacers are required with the draw-tite, care to tell me more about this?  Does it come with them?  Have to order them separate?  Have to make them yourself?

My GF and I are taking her parents 23' travel trailer north for the holiday weekend and I want to upgrade the hitch.  I'll just order it next day and install on Thursday.

Thanks for the input gentlemen!

There is a good thread about the drawtite.  As I recall you just need two half inch spacers.  The OP used some sort of nylon but as I recall, but anything will work.

I tried to order the Drawtite and it was back ordered.  They don't make them anymore.  I suspect the Curt is your best bet.  I wouldn't put down money until they have it in a warehouse.

JohnnieMo said:
There is a good thread about the drawtite.  As I recall you just need two half inch spacers.  The OP used some sort of nylon but as I recall, but anything will work.

I tried to order the Drawtite and it was back ordered.  They don't make them anymore.  I suspect the Curt is your best bet.  I wouldn't put down money until they have it in a warehouse.

Thanks!

I found the drawtite thread; been trying to locate one all morning- I've found a few but I'd prefer to have it for this weekend, so I'm coming up short of finding one that I can get my hands on in time.  I guess I'll just make do with the factory hitch for the weekend if need be.  Travel trailer GVWR is only 5k anyway, so it's not like I'm going to be tearing the factory hitch off or anything.

I really like how the drawtite bridges that hole in the frame.  I don't know if it's that big of a deal, but it seems like it would be a bit of a stronger design.

Found one!  Only about 45 minutes away from me; $213.  Heading out to pick it up shortly here.

Thanks for all the info on here!  This is great!  I'll feel a hell of a lot better towing someone else's travel trailer now!

Okay, so I got the receiver installed.  I will say this- it is a LOT more stout than the factory one.  The Draw-tite 41930 is ALMOST a perfect fit.  I had to trim a VERY small bit out of the bottom of the bumber cover.  Maybe 3/8" x 2-1/14".  Also trimmed away a bit more on the underside of the cover to clear the top plate that is welded on the cross tube and receiver tube itself.  Over-all, VERY minimal trimming.

Hitch does come with 1/4" spacers for the back bolts; there is a 1/2" gap.  If you don't care about the receiver you're taking off, you can cut a piece out of it with an angle grinder and cut-off wheel; that will work.  I happened to have a couple 4"x4" pieces of flat stock 1/4" laying around, so I cut them both in half and used those, discarding the spacers it came with.

1/2" hole has to be drilled for the back bolts; pretty easy.  I used a 20v cordless drill and it only took a minute.  Fishing the bolt into the hole though; that is a bit tricky.  They include a spring deal thing that is supposed to help; I just used some 22ga solid wire, wrapped around a bottom thread, then twisted together.  Fished it through and pulled the bolt into place.  Not too bad.

I'm VERY happy with the new receiver!  I highly suggest if you're looking for one, go with the Draw-tite 41930.  They are not that hard to find; there are a few on ebay.  That is actually how I found mine.  I messaged a seller on ebay who listed having sold four and still having two more, seeing if they could over-night it to me; ebay said they were in vegas.  Well, they had a warehouse 45min away from me in MI, so I drove there to pick it up.  Long story short, spend a few minutes looking and you shouldn't have a problem finding one!

Back