• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

security functions can't be set, driver's seat moves opposite, can't change DIC

Exibar

HI All!
  I'm at my wit's end here....  I just swapped out the ECM, as I was told that would fix my problem (yah, by the dealer no less)... it didn't fix it...  I put back in my old ECM as I was getting a 0315 and I dind't want to go through the trouble of the crankshaft re-learn....

Here's what I got:

Driver's seat moves in the opposite direction when moved. 
    --  Yes, I realize this has been covered before with flashing the ECM to the latest code.  Both ECMs had the latest code (old and new), didn't fix problem.
DIC cannot change languages via stearing wheel control.
    -- I used the trip odometer deal (hold for 4 seconds, choose correct language) to help temporarily
    -- NEW ECM did not change language... the DIC must be controlled by a different computer / module?  WTF is this beast?
    -- I put in a new lower right hand stearing wheel button to try and fix...  this did not help, I tested both old and new buttons and they test fine
I cannot change anything that makes use of the upper portion of the lower-right steering wheel button....  the button that looks like a piece of paper bending over
  -- so this means I cannot set the security controls for the alarm... no exit beep, no alarm set beep, nothing like that
  -- this also means I cannot set the languages on the DIC via the steering wheel button
  -- only the top portion of this button doesn't work, the bottom portion works fine (with the little bent arrow on it, used for resetting trips and milage)...

I've replaced the instrument cluster due to a guage not working.... hoping that would fix this problem... nope
  I've swapped ECM's... that didn't work
  I've replaced the steering wheel button... (what a Female Dog to get the new one in too!)  that didn't work
  I've had a friend that owns a shop hook up his Snap-on computer to it... he cannot get any of the functions that the lower-right button would perform, even using his $5000 Snap on computer....

I don't want to have to live with these issues....  I could live with the backwards moving driver's seat... but I'd really like to set my key fob to beep when I arm the alarm....  Is that too much to ask of this Avvy?  LOL

I love my truck, and I don't want to get rid of it... I bought it new back in 2003, and it runs great... just this weird problem...

is there another computer that controls the "inside the cab" functions? 

it's a 2003 1500 Avalanche Z71, 4x4, 5.3l....

any thoughts?  Help me Cafca you're my only hope :)

thanks all!
  Mike B

OK lets see if I can help ya.

By 0315 I think you mean P0315, the cluster is controlled by the BCM (Body Control Module)

Did you clear the codes after you changed the ECM, because if you did not it will stay until after 40 engine cycles.

And I'm NOT saying change anything.

yes I did clear the P0315 code, it came right back.  I swapped back in the old ECM, and all is fine, no more codes.  But, the original problem of the seats/alarm settings/DIC settings remains.
  The original problem did not go away when I installed the new ECM. 

I did have to allow the ECM to learn the fuel send password (or whatever password it needed), but going through 3 ten minute ignition on cycles....

So right now I have the old ECM installed....

So if the Body Control Module controls the DIC, does it control the seats and other internal items as well?  Perhaps it's the BCM that has to be replaced?

thanks!
Mike B

Yes the ECM/PCM(depending on year) controls the powertrain. The BCM controls every thing else.

No don't replace it yet, what I would suggest you have to find some place that has a scanner the can read the commands on the Class 2 Data Bus to see what commands are being sent. Yeah most dealers can do that.

It's better to pay the bucks up front than to throw parts at it. You can get into a very good software scanner for about 250 bucks if you have a good laptop.

I have a friend that owns a shop and has a snapon scanner... solus ultra something or other...  looks like a larger, red leap pad actually :)

He tried to change the language in the DIC through the tool, and he couldn't... we were able to perform all kinds of cool things using the scantool, but couldn't change the language or the backward seat problem ;-(

I'll see if he can read the commands over the class 2 data bus.  I'm assuming that is different than what we already did?  Any chance you could elaborate a bit on that?

thanks for the help!  It's greatly appreaciated!

Mike B

oh yah, I forgot to mention there is a kinda of a clicking type noise coming from the small Microphone (?) over the driver's head....  it looks like a small speaker, maybe it is a small treble speaker?

Exibar said:
oh yah, I forgot to mention there is a kinda of a clicking type noise coming from the small Microphone (?) over the driver's head....  it looks like a small speaker, maybe it is a small treble speaker?

That item is NOT a speaker it's an air temp sensor for the climate control. The noise is a fan in the sensor. It can be replaced relatively easy and cheaply, many threads on it.

Vaeagleav said:
That item is NOT a speaker it's an air temp sensor for the climate control. The noise is a fan in the sensor. It can be replaced relatively easy and cheaply, many threads on it.

No poop!  wow!  I never would have suspected that it was a climate control sensor with a fan in it!  I'll have to search for those threads.... :)  THANKS! ;-)

Mike B

Back