• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

How do I disable the "Door Ajar" sensor?

Michelangelo

2003, Z66, 1500.

About a year ago I began getting the  "right rear door ajar" message and of course started having trouble with my remote fob locking the entire car up. So I've been living with it and finally decided to do something about it. But then I saw the $200 price tag for a new sensor and realized I need a cheap way to get rid of the annoying message.

I've already tried spraying the mechanism with WD40 from the outside to no avail. Today I finally got around to pulling the door panel off. There are two plugs, with two wires each that plug into the door sensor. I unplugged both of them and tried jumping them both closed with a piece of wire stuck into the ends of the harness connectors. It didn't work.

So can someone give me another idea on how to disable the stupid switch so I don't have to see "right rear door ajar" all night long? (I know I can hit a steering wheel button to get rid of it temporarily but that's very annoying either way.)

Back