• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac vs. Toyo Open Country ATII (AT2) comparison/review

Roody650iAvy

Finally finished my tire comparison-&-review of the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac and the Toyo Open Country ATII (AT2).  I know a lot of people out there are interested in these tires and it seems that in the truck and SUV worlds the two happen to be cross-shopped quite a bit.  I spent an absolute ton of time with both and wrote a full-length in-depth article about the two, hoping that somebody out there who is a little lost finds it and it can give them some direction.  As far as I know this is the first and only article putting these two face-to-face, so hopefully it does achieve my goal!

Without further ado: http://roody25.blogspot.com/2014/10/tire-comparison-review-goodyear.html

DSC_1296edit.jpg

IMG_1630.2.2.jpg

Dakotawilk said:
havent got to read the link yet but that looks awsome!! i like that pre runer kind of light bar too!!

Thanks dude!  It's worth a read for anybody interested in either tires, and especially so for those deciding between the two  (y)

As for the light bar, it came off a '98 Yukon  :laugh:

Roody650iAvy said:
Thanks dude!  It's worth a read for anybody interested in either tires, and especially so for those deciding between the two  (y)

As for the light bar, it came off a '98 Yukon  :laugh:
Haha nice!! Dude! I was really interested in the duratracs I wanted to get the mtr's but then reality started speaking a little

Dakotawilk said:
Haha nice!! Dude! I was really interested in the duratracs I wanted to get the mtr's but then reality started speaking a little

Yup.  It's hard to make a case for a full-blown M/T unless you wheel your street rig every weekend or so.

Roody650iAvy said:
Yup.  It's hard to make a case for a full-blown M/T unless you wheel your street rig every weekend or so.
Well over the summer I was I could afford the gas but I still drive 60.5 miles every week day going to work and back and it's all highway and I live up in the mountains so  a nice set of tires for that I've drive to school before in two feet if snow too but now back in school and working like 10 hours a week and haven't gotta go since school started :/ so I'm leaning more twards duratracs

Dakotawilk said:
Well over the summer I was I could afford the gas but I still drive 60.5 miles every week day going to work and back and it's all highway and I live up in the mountains so  a nice set of tires for that I've drive to school before in two feet if snow too but now back in school and working like 10 hours a week and haven't gotta go since school started :/ so I'm leaning more twards duratracs

Fully understood.  My daily commute is 100-110 miles round trip, so something a little more road-compliant wouldn't hurt.  If you were set on the MTR's but don't want to put up with the relatively bad highway manners, the DuraTrac is a great option.

Great job on the tire comparison..  (y)

I run the Goodyear MT/R's and love them, especially like you want a more aggressive look. The second design is surprisingly quite for the more aggressive tread on them. As far as handling people are amazed at how well a 3/4 AV whips around the road, the Kevlar sidewalls do not flex like some tires that give you that wag going around a corner. I've been running them since I put on the lift (5th Set), I've been getting about 40,000 plus miles out of them and would run the Duratracs if the MT/R's weren't available.

Thanks again for the right up...

Randy said:
Great job on the tire comparison..  (y)

Thanks Randy  (y)  Kevlar would be a great addition to the DuraTracs but would in turn make them louder and would ride a little more harshly.

Great reviews. You are a natural columnist!

Granted I run Nitto 420 summers and Firestone Winterforce. I am an asphalt queen ;)

My hope of getting needed new tires soon just went down the drain driving to work today I'm 98% certain I blew my tranny took off at the light started Togo and it was like someone put it in neutral it wouldn't go forward at all I have week reverse I had just dropped off a friend so I back up down a street for half of a mile to get there and had to push the last part up that hill man was that hard!  :cry: :cry:

Need4Speed said:
How do the two compare in slippery ice conditions? Does the Toyo have the snowflake symbol?

Ice is the only thing that keeps me off the roads.  Of course there's been a few times when it was inevitable, but in 4WD both did great.  The only time I ever got the truck stuck though was in an ice-covered parking lot, and it was 100% my fault (with the DuraTracs).  Not sure if the Toyos have the snowflake rating (I don't remember seeing it...), but they did well enough in the snow for it not to matter if they have a symbol or not.

JohnnieMo said:
Great reviews. You are a natural columnist!

Granted I run Nitto 420 summers and Firestone Winterforce. I am an asphalt queen ;)

Haha, the 420 is opposite direction.  Might buy some Nittos for the Challenger...  >:D

Dakotawilk said:
My hope of getting needed new tires soon just went down the drain driving to work today I'm 98% certain I blew my tranny took off at the light started Togo and it was like someone put it in neutral it wouldn't go forward at all I have week reverse I had just dropped off a friend so I back up down a street for half of a mile to get there and had to push the last part up that hill man was that hard!   :cry: :cry:

Ahhhh good ol slippage.  That's brutal, hope you get it fixed quick & easy!

Back