• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Hole in my gas tank?

Pakalatic

So i have been able to smell gas walking down the drivers side of my truck for almost a year now and just the other day i looked under the truck and saw a clear leaking trail on the tank. I attached a picture of what i am talking about. is there any chance that this could be the filler neck or is this most likely on the tank

Attachments

• 20141028_202912_resized.jpg
    20141028_202912_resized.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 115
Most likely coming down from the fuel pump module unless you can see a hole or lose filler hose.

yep,  see gigantic thread on how to change the fuel pump.  Many have had them leak.

That is identical to mine. I have an 05 and started to smell gas for a few days, but no obvious puddles. Then got to looking one day and saw the same thing you see.
I have read and read the threads about the two ways to replace the fuel pump. I am opting to do the cut out. Will be ordering the pump assembly in the next day or two and will have at'r once it gets here.

keensali said:
That is identical to mine. I have an 05 and started to smell gas for a few days, but no obvious puddles. Then got to looking one day and saw the same thing you see.
I have read and read the threads about the two ways to replace the fuel pump. I am opting to do the cut out. Will be ordering the pump assembly in the next day or two and will have at'r once it gets here.
Not quite sure that's the smartest thing to do if it's already leaking......

I had the metal lines rust out on the top of my fuel pump and that's where it was leaking from.

Fully understood. The truck was parked for a week without use and I also tucked a board up over the pump assembly before cutting, garden hose and fire extinguisher at arms reach. Hole is cut and pump is ordered.

The nice thing about having the access panel now is that you can open it up for an inspection and/or flush the top of road salts once in awhile. This will allow you to get ahead of any corrosion that may start. To me that would be a major safety concern if I lived where they salted the roads.

Back