• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

How well do the bed panels last?? Opinions needed on spare set please....

CaughtnaAvalanche

I just got an 06 a Avalanche a week ago, it has the bed panels and they are in great shape, I saw on local classifieds a guy has a set for sale, I called him. I can get them for $130 bucks for all 3, should I get them or are they something that should last as long as the truck??  Thanks

They should last! Occasionally I hear about them getting warped or seals going bad but most people fix them if that happens, I don't know anyone that keeps a spare set.

These covers are really tough. The only things I could see going 'bad' would be the latch handles and seals. I don't think anyone really has an extra set but if you have a high theft in your area maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea  (y)

Well I did keep my originals panels when I bought a set to paint. But I agree they are pretty tough and sometimes the seals start leaking.

Ok thanks everyone. I think I will save my $ and put it toward something else then, that's why the forum is such an asset, people with experience with the Avalanche are the only ones that can answer questions like this :B:

Usually never, if you are looking for some Craigslist is your best bet Flea bay folks are asking too much and they are not cheap to ship.

I was thinking that if they sell here periodically he could buy them to sell later if the $130 is a good cheap price and he could make some money. I bet the shipping is high though.

Only $130 for bed panels is a steal, makes me think they may be stolen.

Echoing the others - mine have never been garaged and are now nine years old. I take them on and off at least a few times per month.  The things are very durable. I even held a Cub Scout meeting with six boys perched on the panels some years back.

Flint4x4 said:
Only $130 for bed panels is a steal, makes me think they may be stolen.
Yep, without a doubt.
They sell for more than that for each individual panel used. Anywhere under $500 for a set is cheap. a new set will set you back $1167

I bought my 08 in 11'  with 34k mi. if i remember correctly. I now have 101k mi and 3 more PA winters on them. I'm 6'8" 300lbs and I have had myself as well as others on them repeatedly and for extended periods of time at Nascar races and other sporting events. and just last moth developed my first leak.
they are probably the most durable part on our vehicles. You would really have to try hard to damage them

raiderron said:
Sounds like he should buy them. I would and hold for a later sale.

I was thinking that too but if they are stolen,... we don't want to create a market for more thieves. Bed panel and tail gate theft isn't a real problem in my area but it is in some areas.

Flint4x4 said:
I was thinking that too but if they are stolen,... we don't want to create a market for more thieves. Bed panel and tail gate theft isn't a real problem in my area but it is in some areas.

The guy "claims" he sold the Avalanche and had them off and in his garage at the time of the sale, I'm on the fence on that one, who knows. I could try to get some details on the Avalanche they came from I suppose and get a better idea if he's telling the truth, or just forget about it totally, but seeing as how a new set are so high, I may grab them a,d store them in my garage for just in case or as a future investment. Thanks again for all the replies!!

I meant to add my '04 was built in Dec. '03  and the panels have never leaked.

Had an '02 for 3 years first, never had a problem with it other than DRL/fog light housings got water in them when I drove thru a flooded street. Had them replaced under warranty and fell in love with the loaded Arrival Blue truck or  else I'd still be driving the '02.

I'll have to remember that there are some owners here who would like to purchase a set of new bed panels.  I have a brand new set that are just gathering dust in the garage...  They are off a 2012.

When I purchased the Avalanche, I also bought a SnugTop - I needed the extra room in the back.  So, I have this set that have only seen daylight once or twice.  I really don't think I'll ever take the SnugTop off - I really should think about getting them to a good home!

Does anyone know if they can still be ordered from the dealer?

Michael

Back