• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Plugged sunroof drain lines

74Rallye

My 02 AV has 3 out of 4 drains from the sunroof clogged. I tried to clear them from the top with an air hose with out success. I need to start where the drain exits the body. I looked, but I can't find the exits. Can someone give me a hint as to where to look? Thanks.

They go down down the A- B-pilers, pull the inside trim between the doors..

Here is the front on top, rear on the bottom.

Attachments

• srooffr.png
    srooffr.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 279
  • sroofrr.png
    sroofrr.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 273
I've fixed a couple of issues with my '02 sunroof drains, but on the front passenger's side, I can't find where the drain tube exits. It's plugged near the exit and I can't get opened. I tried reaming with weed eater line, but no luck.
Anyone know where the tube exits and ends?

See links pasted below, HTH  (I will merge your thread into existing threads.  BTW, I searched Sunroof Drain using the forum search tool, and found these two threads.)

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,145292.0.html

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,131069.0.html

I still can't find where the front drain tube exits. Anyone know where the tube exits and ends?

Try taking the A pillar interior trim off and follow the hose down.

I pulled the headliner and trim. The drain line that follows the A pillar down goes into another connector just below the windshield. From there it feels like there's a rubber hose going toward the firewall. I'm trying to find the end of the hose, where it exits the cabin. It's blocked and I need to open it up. I pulled the plastic inner fender behind the front wheel and didn't see anything.

Try pulling off the plastic trim that goes around the radio antenna.

index.php

fyi, i was able to blow mine out with compressed air.  Might be worth a shot before you take the whole thing apart.

I tried the compressed air and the drain line blows off of the connector that's just under the wind shield. I'll try removing the plastic around the wipers.

I have some pics of the problem that blocked the rear drains. I'll post them when I get home. The factory clips that are meant to help transition the hose through the 90 degree bend into the door pillar ended up pinching the drains shut.

Here's a pic of the of the clip that that pinched the drain line shut on the rear drain. It was like this on both sides.

Attachments

• IMG_3107.jpg
    IMG_3107.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 172
Adding a 90 degree elbow was the fix.

Attachments

• IMG_3102.jpg
    IMG_3102.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 181
Somebody was in a hurry to get off work that Friday when your AV was put together...

Glad you got it fixed.

So the front drains out under the cowl piece?

Parked facing downhill the other day and had water pouring out of the headliner onto the steering column when I returned :needhug:

WILDFIRE said:
So the front drains out under the cowl piece?

Parked facing downhill the other day and had water pouring out of the headliner onto the steering column when I returned :needhug:
1 in each corner.
2 in front head down A pillar  1 on left and 1 on right
2 in rear head down B pillar  1 on left and 1 on right

ygmn said:
1 in each corner.
2 in front head down A pillar  1 on left and 1 on right
2 in rear head down B pillar  1 on left and 1 on right
yes, but I'm looking for the exit on the drivers side
I got a piece of 3/16's tubing down it about a foot, but it shoots it (the tubing) out when you hit it with air

FYI  On some (2003)  there are actually 6 drain holes.   2 in the front, and 2 on each rear side.   The 2 on each rear side connect to short tubes that form a Y and the water eventually goes down a common drain hose.

Finding where they come out is tough, I have tried before by myself, but if I had a helper to pour water while I was looking it might be easier

The back drain and the center drain come together at the Y and come down the B-piller..

Attachments

• Sunroof.JPG
    Sunroof.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 103
This is good info. How do you actually get to the rear drains though..?

Thanks. Dave
See page 17 of the attached service manual for a diagram of the rear drain. In short, remove a lot of trim pieces.

What I do to unclog the drains is use weed-eater string and feed it all the way through until it sticks out the bottom of the truck. The thinner string, meant for an electric weed-eater works best. The thicker string used on most gas-powered weed-eaters is a bit too thick and doesn't make the bends well enough. YMMV.

Attachments

• sunroof.pdf
    1,021.1 KB · Views: 17
Back