• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

tune advice

schepacarter

Hey guys,  I'm looking into getting a tuner for christmas. I have an 08 ls avy 5.3 with afm. I've had to replace whole motors under warranty when I worked for gm because the afm would cause carbon buildup around the cylinder that are used and not the ones that aren't. So, I would like to get a tuner that I can get rid of that with. Also, would like a tuner with an actual screen that reads data and graphs and I can apply my own inputs and custom tunes into. I like to have control over it, but do not want to have to go back to a dyno once a year. Anyone know of the best tuner for these purposes?  Probably not going to do too much internal engine work. Probably just intake and exhaust and maybe eventually a cam. But that's not for a couple years as budget may have it. Links and pictures would be much appreciated. Thanks again.

I would look at diablo. Their new units are pretty awesome. I've had one of the older predators for several years now and it's been a great tool. In my research Diablo has and alows more adjustment Than the others and you can have their techs write custom tunes to it for you.

I did just this week finally pull it and have a custom tune done. I think I'm finally wanting more tuning than I could easily do with a handheld and I'm happy with the results but I do still believe diablo has the best products and support it the handheld industry.

The diablosport tools have better, dyno-developed preset tunes on them... they have the most end-user adjustable parameters available than any others...  complete data logging capabilities and full parameter support..  restore original backup stock tunes at any time and no worries about warranty/dealers... PLUS, you can get CUSTOM TUNING done for the diablo tools, which you can not with the others - you'd be stuck with whatever tunes they give you on them and that's it...

I can get you hooked up with the programmers and custom tuning if interested... Thanks!

Removed SPAM

(y)
Yeah I shoulda thought to referred you to Monte in the first place. He's a great resource and dealer.

Hell, the shop that tuned my truck recommended selling my predator to recoup some of what i paid them. I'm still keeping it because its the best diagnostic tool in my garage. Great products.

is this tuner something that I can use for my Avalanche? I have a ram air hood with ram air kit, headers and full exhaust. I need to eliminate the rear o2s and give the truck a tune for the mods I've put on it. I've been looking and this seems to be the best so far, but nothing stated about rear o2 deletion. Thanks!

Relfie said:
is this tuner something that I can use for my Avalanche? I have a ram air hood with ram air kit, headers and full exhaust. I need to eliminate the rear o2s and give the truck a tune for the mods I've put on it. I've been looking and this seems to be the best so far, but nothing stated about rear o2 deletion. Thanks!

yes it would work for your Avalanche.. but you can not disable codes with it, due to EPA regulations..

you would have to get a custom tune done for it, which I could certainly do for you, as I sell the programmers as well...

06MonteSS said:
yes it would work for your Avalanche.. but you can not disable codes with it, due to EPA regulations..

you would have to get a custom tune done for it, which I could certainly do for you, as I sell the programmers as well...

How much are we talking? Is this for a programmer, or do I send you my PCM?

I just sent you an email with all the info...

no you do not need to email your ecm/tcm anywhere.. it's all done via email..

you'd need to get the programmer and custom tuning..  

depending on which programmer you want, it'd be $495 - $695... that's for a programmer + custom tuning...

For $499 and a laptop you can get HPTuners with which you can disable the rear O2 sensors, do your own tuning, plus be able to do 1-3 additional vehicles as well.

enoniam said:
For $499 and a laptop you can get HPTuners with which you can disable the rear O2 sensors, do your own tuning, plus be able to do 1-3 additional vehicles as well.

I'll keep that in mind as well, thank you!

enoniam said:

This is true, but unless you know what you are doing you can quickly turn your motor into scrape. There are no instructions that tell you what to do you have to have experience or plan on spending many, many hours learning how to read the fuel, timing tables, air fuel ratios etc. to be able to tune your motor...

Randy said:
This is true, but unless you know what you are doing you can quickly turn your motor into scrape. There are no instructions that tell you what to do you have to have experience or plan on spending many, many hours learning how to read the fuel, timing tables, air fuel ratios etc. to be able to tune your motor...

For his mods and turning off the O2s, with the help he can get from others he isn't going to hurt his motor unless he does something stupid.  There are beginning instructions available online.  Starting out you tweak, and if you've got the tuning software you can make LOTS of small tweaks and when you do another hardware mod down the road you don't have to go back to the custom tuner...

Back