• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Rear locks not working

AVArookie

I did a quick search and found nothing for what I am looking for. For some reason my rear locks have stopped working. You can manually lock and unlock them though. This is the same issue when using the aftermarket alarm fob as well. The front doors lock and unlock as they should. Any help?

Any chance someone hit the child lock feature?

I have the same exact issue on my 03. Keeping an eye on this thread to see how it goes.

Make sure to let me know if you figure out how to fix it! Haha

Found this:

The usual issue with the back doors not working are the relays in the left dash fuse block. They both are used for both lock and unlock. I would swap those out and see.

I swapped mine around and got them to lock, but not unlock. So, this seems to be the ticket.... BoomerX, do you have information on or about the newer relays?

AVArookie said:
Torenhire,
What have you found out so far?

I have found out that there is a lot more going on with my fusebox than just my door locks. Haha. Looks like I have a loose connection or intermittent open or something. Locks have been an issue for ages, but now all my lights, dash, everything is flaking out when I wiggle the relays. I might end up swapping the relays for the door locks anyways as they have been a long-standing issue.

Good luck with the fix! It's a PITA in winter time when you have friends trying to get in the truck freezing their you-know-whats off and they have to wait for you to open the doors for them, haha.

Replace the relays, both of them front and rear. It resolved my issue. Replaced the rear only, it would burn out after a while.

Torenhire said:
I have found out that there is a lot more going on with my fusebox than just my door locks. Haha. Looks like I have a loose connection or intermittent open or something. Locks have been an issue for ages, but now all my lights, dash, everything is flaking out when I wiggle the relays. I might end up swapping the relays for the door locks anyways as they have been a long-standing issue.

Good luck with the fix! It's a PITA in winter time when you have friends trying to get in the truck freezing their you-know-whats off and they have to wait for you to open the doors for them, haha.

Why have you waited so long to get it fixed. It only took about five minutes of research to get the solution? No tools, less than $50.00, you can do it yourself, and do it in your own driveway....

Thanks to all who helped out with part numbers and such.
(y)

Greetings! (THREAD NECROMANCY!)

So I'm dealing with this issue on a new to me '04. Rear doors and tailgate will neither lock or unlock with the switch or FOB. Followed the advice in this thread to swap the relays, but... Not only are there no relays installed in the 'LOCK', 'UNLOCK', or 'DRIVER UNLOCK' positions, the terminal positions don't seem to even match! 87A appears in the space between 86 and 30 on the 'LOCK/UNLOCK' Relays and between the 30 and 86 position on the 'DRIVER UNLOCK' Relay. Furthermore, there is just a 10 A fuse between that terminal and 86 on the same.

This perplexes me, as the driver and passenger power locks seem to work just fine. Should I just get these relays and install upside down?

Just closing the loop and confirming that YES there is a misprint on the diagram, YES the relays should be 'n' instead of 'u', and YES the rear door locks function properly after replacement.

I just started having this issue (‘04, 2500). Will order & replace front and back relays and report back.

Back