• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Dealer applied "shine" washed off of plastic bed cover

Rocky Mountain Sooner

Hey everyone,
              When my wife and I picked up our '05 Avalanche from the used car dealer, it shined like a new penny! Two days of intense rain washed off whatever it was they put on the sail panels, saddle bags and the 3 piece bed cover. Granted, it is a nine year old truck, but I am just wondering what it is that the dealer's detaler used on the plastic parts. I've heard some people say Pam cooking spray, olive oil, baby oil all kinds of stuff.
                Anyway, I applied some Meguiars back to black on all the plastic back there and it looks pretty good. The intense sunlight we get here in Colorado does a number on car finishes. Unprotected paint and plastic get oxidized much quicker up here in the Rockies.
                I know, everyone has their preferred product for putting on plastic, I have have had good luck with back to black though. I am just wondering what it was the dealer used on my Av so I can be sure to not ever use it.

My favorite is Meguiars Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer ???

Just understand it's going to last about 3 months. Even R&R is only to last so long, the only way to make it permanent is to sand and paint the cladding.

Meguiars back to black is good but what I've found that is better is Mothers Trim and Plastic. It works GREAT and lasts. The best part of it is that it is totally non greasy. It dries in a few minutes with a really nice finish. Dust does NOT stick to it and leaves no residue. I dont know what it is but it seems to do more as too "treat" the plastic rather than just put some greasy, sticky crap on the top like other things things in your post. It just seems to absorb in. As we all know Avy's have A LOT of plastic, we want it to look good and not have to spend all day working on it over and over and over again. Oh and by the way I know what you mean about sun, I live in hot, dry Arizona. Its windy and dusty often, the panels look great after a quick wash every time. Just wanted to offer my experience.
What did the dealer use??? I dunno but find what works and stick with it.

Best part is it's about 12 bucks. >:D

Bondo Restore Black is my favorite.......a black gel paste that goes on easy with the enclosed foam applicator.........no rubbing or scrubbing, goes on like paint and lasts up to two years.

Used it on my '07 where the plastic above the CMHSL was greyed out to the point of leaving plastic dust on your hands if you rubbed it. Until I changed, I used the Mequiars since the vehicle was new and always had to scrub and apply many coats after a Winter fade out and it never looked perfect. The Bondo is not only easy to apply but it applies an opaque coat to block all the UV raysand seal the plastic, and it dries quickly to an original shine finish that lasts.....best to mask the surrounding area.....won't damage them, but it is real hard to get off surrounding paint once dry.

MS03 2500 said:
My favorite is Meguiars Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer ???

Just understand it's going to last about 3 months.

I'm with MS03 on this one.
I use the Meguiars on mine twice a year. I like it cause it's cheap and easy, doesn't require any prep other than being clean and dry, doesn't need to be masked off and doesn't stain.

Back