• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Seat Module replacement (front driver seat removal) air bag?

chaz_fwb

I purchased a power seat module for my 2004 avalanche.
So, this weekend i will remove the front driver seat to R&R.
I have read that there may be an airbag in the seat?
Can I just remove the battery or a air bag fuse under the engine hood and remove the seat?

I have reads some threads where they remove the dash and discoonect connectors near the steering wheel.
Is this necessary??

You can just remove the SIR fuse and give it a minute to de-energize

Never heard disconnecting anything in the dash.

I also read a thread that said to remove the front seat cushion.
Can the cushion be removed without removing the front seat?

It's hard to do but yes, but I don't know if you can get to the module.

What type of seat to you have power or manual

Do you also know the bolts that hold them are torx headed. ( A anti theft feature.)

Yes, I think I can get torx bolts off.
So, remove airbag fuze and then the seat?

I have removed my seats many times with the battery enabled and no fuses pulled. Probably not a great idea but I haven't had any issues. I have a 2003

The only air bag sensor I am aware of is the passenger seat which is to deploy the passenger air bag if necessary. Although both seats do have the same air bag connector harness...

There is also a seat position sensor in the drivers seat. It tells the system how close the driver is to the air bag in the steering wheel so it knows how hard to deploy the air bag.

Follow Up:

I purchased the Sears universal (torx was listed on package) deep socket set to remove torx seat bolts.  Neither metric or standard worked on these torx.

So, I tried to remove the seat cushon with seat in truck.  The cushion is just held in place with two bolts.  Altough, there are four wire connectors that need to be removed.  I was able two remove the front two ( I think these are for the heaters).  The back two for control was two hard to remove.  But I was able to prop up the seat to get my hand in the opening to remove the seat module.  Getting the four connectors off the module was difficult be not impossible.

Seat heaters and lumbar control now back operational.

Glad you got it fixed. Yeah the torx socket is not widely available but you can get them from specialty tool places like Performance Line Tool, Snap-On or Matco. You can get it off with the metric socket but you run the risk of stripping them.

Back