• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Heat sometimes won't work, sometimes will pop on after 30 minutes, but its HOT!

arachnyd

Its not that the heat doesn't "work", it just doesn't work when I want it. If I set the automatic HVAC control to 90 on both driver and passenger, I still get nice breezy AC. Sometimes after a good 20-30 minutes, all of a sudden burning hot air comes shooting through the vents all of a sudden. Sometimes it does work, but that is very rare. Sometimes it doesn't go on at all.

This has been going on for a while but I kind of forgot about it since its been summer and the AC works great.

I replaced the blower control module last week due to a spotty blower. The blower is working perfectly now, but still no heat.

I did some searching, and I got a little lost because I don't understand the system all that well. It looks like it could be a blend door or a temp blend actuator. Can anyone explain if these sound like the problem, and if so, Where I would find it to fix it? I presume its in the vicinity of the heater core above the blower, and it makes sense it could be the actuator because it does work sometimes after a while, like it may be "trying" to change, but with the full digital HVAC system, I thought it might also be something else, like a resistor or I read about a HVAC control computer or something similar.

If it is the blend actuator, then I did find this: http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=106886.0 But thats pretty involved if that isn't a likely problem! I also was reading about how the blend door would effect just passenger OR driver, but this is always the same, either it works for both or it works for neither, which makes it sound like something different.
Thanks!

arachnyd said:
Its not that the heat doesn't "work", it just doesn't work when I want it. If I set the automatic HVAC control to 90 on both driver and passenger, I still get nice breezy AC. Sometimes after a good 20-30 minutes, all of a sudden burning hot air comes shooting through the vents all of a sudden. Sometimes it does work, but that is very rare. Sometimes it doesn't go on at all.

This has been going on for a while but I kind of forgot about it since its been summer and the AC works great.

I replaced the blower control module last week due to a spotty blower. The blower is working perfectly now, but still no heat.

I did some searching, and I got a little lost because I don't understand the system all that well. It looks like it could be a blend door or a temp blend actuator. Can anyone explain if these sound like the problem, and if so, Where I would find it to fix it? I presume its in the vicinity of the heater core above the blower, and it makes sense it could be the actuator because it does work sometimes after a while, like it may be "trying" to change, but with the full digital HVAC system, I thought it might also be something else, like a resistor or I read about a HVAC control computer or something similar.

If it is the blend actuator, then I did find this: http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=106886.0 But thats pretty involved if that isn't a likely problem! I also was reading about how the blend door would effect just passenger OR driver, but this is always the same, either it works for both or it works for neither, which makes it sound like something different.
Thanks!
  What did you ever find out with this issue this past winter?  Thanks,  G.B.

Also always check your coolant level if you don't get heat.. Can be low coolant level or can even be an issue with your heater core...

Rodney

Gone Blue said:
  What did you ever find out with this issue this past winter?  Thanks,  G.B.

Ended up being an air bubble in the heater core. Burped the system and voila, works like a wonder. Took an entire year to figure that out too...

Back