• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Rear window switches intermittently work

Petrica98

2007 LT, both rear window switches work sometimes from their doors.  I can control them from the driver switches, and once when closing the rear passenger window, it closed the driver window also? (Haven't been able to recreate it)

Are these switches known to fail?

I remember something funny with my '07 passenger switches when DIC was set for power on delay exit. All window switches continues to work when parked with the ignition off for the 10 minute delay, but if any of the passenger doors was opened, the individual passenger window switches were deactivated, driver's controls still had power until the driver's door was opened or the 10 minutes times out....turning on the ignition again reactivated the "dead" door switches.

Can't explain the driver window going up... but I too had problems with the rear windows switches. I popped the switch assembly from the doors, disconnected the wires and did some investigating. The switch assembly ended up being pretty easy to open and what I discovered was the metal contacts inside were hazing over. Wiped them with rubbing alcohol and they were clean and shiny again. Plugged everything back in and they work perfectly now.

I had a friend that was a USMC A4 Driver for most of his career. He ended up in Kuwait just prior to the nonsense with Gulf War I as the American Liaison to the Kuwaiti Air Force. They had aircraft from France, Russia, and some other dubious places.

He often took advantage to fly them and I asked how he managed to properly prepare without access to the Owner's Manuals. To which he replied, "Flying foreign aircraft is easy, you just push, punch, and use the buttons/knobs that are all worn down. Never use anything that you can still read that is in near original or factory fresh condition. "

I've made it a subconscious effort to cycle door locks and window controls from all 4 corners of the cabin to ensure everything is properly cycled. And all the buttons, latches, and the knobs have a little wear on them now too.

So do you cycle them for signs of wear so that you can throw off your friend in the event he borrows your truck? :)

I will pull them this weekend for cleaning and cycling.  I do like the thought of cycling them to avoid visually wearing them out from overuse.  Thanks

ca2kjet said:
Can't explain the driver window going up... but I too had problems with the rear windows switches. I popped the switch assembly from the doors, disconnected the wires and did some investigating. The switch assembly ended up being pretty easy to open and what I discovered was the metal contacts inside were hazing over. Wiped them with rubbing alcohol and they were clean and shiny again. Plugged everything back in and they work perfectly now.

Thanks ca2kjet, that was the issue.  I removed the switches, opened them up, wiped down both the circuit board connectors as well as the button connectors on the plastic cover.  They both work perfectly now.  I have added a couple pics for others.  Thanks again

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 22
Circuit board, remove the plastic cover, it is just laid in there, and wipe the gold contacts on the circuit board, as well as the inside contacts of the plastic cover.

(Sorry the pics look a bit distorted, I guess the challenge of image size on an iPad?)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 22
Awesome! Thought it was a fluke when I did mine so never bothered to take photos. Great work! This is really good for future reference as I suspect others will be needing this info.  (y)

Back