• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

All my gauges died- need a new cluster?

GT_80

SO I got in my truck this morning, and instead of the usual mileage greeting I get when I put the key in, I got all solid squares in the Odometer area, and when I started the truck non of the gauges work. The directionals still work, but nothing else. I am so fed up with gremlins in this truck! I'm gonna check fuses at lunch, but I think I may have to drop yet MORE money into my AVY  :E:  :help:

You may want to check the battery condition or maybe the ignition switch.

well, I went out and pulled out the IGN, and the 2 gauge cluster fuses, and when I clicked the key on, it all worked again... Weird...

Hope it doesn't keep happening. Every once in a while my Sierra had a weird issue where the chimes on the stereo would stop working (aftermarket stereo/chime kit) and when I pulled the radio fuse it would work again... Similar to this.

My guage would go out and i could smack cluster and work agian. Or if disconnect battery. They finally went completely out and had to replace cluster.

Hmm..    When it works, does EVERYTHING work perfect?  i.e. DIC area message bright, PRND321 lights bright, etc?    I had to resolder resistors on mine cause of cold solder joints causing dimming PRND321 lights...  on the circuit board sometimes you can see burn marks from heat.  What's funny is that you can actually drive the truck without the cluster attached.  I had to do this for a few days when I was waiting on parts.  Its not very fun to not know how fast you are going.

marzahld said:
Hmm..    When it works, does EVERYTHING work perfect?  i.e. DIC area message bright, PRND321 lights bright, etc?     I had to resolder resistors on mine cause of cold solder joints causing dimming PRND321 lights...  on the circuit board sometimes you can see burn marks from heat.  What's funny is that you can actually drive the truck without the cluster attached.  I had to do this for a few days when I was waiting on parts.  Its not very fun to not know how fast you are going.

You need to buy those wooden bead seat covers, and then take a wheel weight off. You will really feel it when you hit 65!!

Everything works normally when it works. Nothing dimming other than one bulb (or LED-whatever they use in the clusters now) is burned out. The stepper on the speedo is a little jerky, but it's been like that since I had the truck.

Is it possible to reach under and grab some of the harness and do a wire wiggle test?

Has this happened again?

I am new to these vehicles and haven't had to work on anything yet, so I am not sure if you can reach this.

I need to order the factory manual so I can offer specific instructions.

I've had similar happen with my 02.
The LCD bezel goes off, my tach and a few other gauges go dead, and my torque converter goes into limp mode
Don't remember if all the gauges went dead as it has been a while since it last happened.
I do remember the last time it happened because it was right before I drove down to IN for the Nationals this year.
Anyway the first time it happened I was at a loss until I figured out it was the IGN Fuse under the hood like you.
I think there is an issue with the wiring down there but it is so intermittent that I have learned to live with it and just pull the fuse out and pop it back in an move on.
As I said mine is so intermittent that it has only happened maybe 6 or 7 times  in the last 2 years.

Back