• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Do your saddlebag locks work?

Samsquanch

After reading the "do you lock your saddlebags" thread it reminded me of an issue that I accidentally discovered only a couple months ago... both my saddlebags unlock simply by pushing the lockset in like a button without the key inserted... I have NO idea how long they have been like that.  They still lock automatically when you close them.  I've had my Avy for 4 years now and thankfully never experienced a theft out of those storage compartments.  But I'd like to take a survey to see if this defect is something unique to my truck or if others out there are completely unaware that you can open them without a key. :B:

You have the key vertical when you remove?
pretty sure it is vertical to lock and horizontal is for unlocked.
I may have this mixed up but the orientation of the key determine if it is locked or simply latched.

When unlocked it latches and stays closed until you press in the lock and then they open.
Locked you can press all day and she will not open

YGMN is right...somewhat...lol

If you turn the key horizontal and remove the key...this LOCKS the saddle bag...and it should NOT open when you push on the lock.
If you turn the key vertical and remove key, then the saddle bags are unlocked, and will open when you push the lock.

Well crap I just realized something... I've NEVER been able to lock my saddlebags then... there was never the ability to turn the lock to the horizontal position.  I always just assumed you inserted the key and pushed up to unlock and open them.
Just now I tried to turn my keys left and right to lock and it won't let me... it never has.  It's the same for the left and right side.  Guess I'll have to look into this now.

Samsquanch said:
Well crap I just realized something... I've NEVER been able to lock my saddlebags then... there was never the ability to turn the lock to the horizontal position.  I always just assumed you inserted the key and pushed up to unlock and open them.
Just now I tried to turn my keys left and right to lock and it won't let me... it never has.  It's the same for the left and right side.  Guess I'll have to look into this now.

Maybe try spraying some WD-40 on the locking mechanism under the lid...and into the keyhole itself to see if it will loosen it up for you.  May have just stuck from lack of use...lol

ARMYtango said:
Maybe try spraying some WD-40 PB Blaster on the locking mechanism under the lid...and into the keyhole itself to see if it will loosen it up for you.  May have just stuck from lack of use...lol

Fixed that for you sir.

f425dd0b-872e-43cd-aa90-4a8d5637331f_400.jpg

WD40 is a good cleaner, but that's about all it's good for

MS03 2500 said:
WD40 is a good cleaner, but that's about all it's good for

WD40 stands for "Water Displacement" 40 where 40 is the 40th formula they tried to make it.

Originally it was meant to be a similar product as "Wire Drier" to make water dissipate away from spark plug wires on a distributor.

It is not meant to be a lubricant, bit it does work ok as a rust breaker if it isn't too bad. PB blaster is much better at breaking rust.

My lock work fine on my bags- A few things on the truck surprise me in a good way :) There is a spare tire lock in the hole where the crank goes, and it works as well :D Usually lock s stop working when no one uses them.

mine sometimes need me shut it again after turning to the lock postion before it actually locks.

Samsquanch , when i was looking for my AV at different dealers a couple of them couldn't get the saddlebags or tailgate to unlock.
One said that they ignition was changed so they didn't have the OE Keys to the doors.  Could that be why yours won't lock?

Z66Modder said:
mine sometimes need me shut it again after turning to the lock postion before it actually locks.

This is what mine was doing. I would have to let it slam and basically knock it's self back into position. Then it would lock.

But right after i got the truck i did hit all of the hinges, nuts, and bolts that might give me trouble in the future.

Found 2 cans of PB on sale and jumped all over it.
That is the only and a propane torch was the only way i was able to get the rotors off of my 99 Silverado.

Back