• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Rear diff cover (hard gasket or liquid gasket?)

bchristian

Greetings again!
Im going to do some service next weekend on My Ava. Axle seals and wheel bearings. Does the rear diff cover have a hard gasket or liquid gasket?
I`m getting all ACDelco parts but the gasket that was recommended is RDS550281 Rear Axle Housing Gasket by Fel-Pro.
Also, on the wheel bearings - are they pretty much plug and play or do they have to be packed? Like on a hub..

Any suggestions? I`m only doing this once!

Thanks,
Blain

Plug and play on the bearings because the diff fluid lubes them and definitely use the Fel Pro gasket. Best gaskets around IMO. Thin film of sealer on each side of gasket, I mean thin, unless the gasket instructions say not to and make doubly sure that the housing and cover gasket surfaces are clean and dry. If you don't know about the bearings, do you have the correct tools for bearing and seal removal and replacement? Important.

raiderron said:
Plug and play on the bearings because the diff fluid lubes them and definitely use the Fel Pro gasket. Best gaskets around IMO. Thin film of sealer on each side of gasket, I mean thin, unless the gasket instructions say not to and make doubly sure that the housing and cover gasket surfaces are clean and dry. If you don't know about the bearings, do you have the correct tools for bearing and seal removal and replacement? Important.

Thank you for your information!
Then I will use the Fel-Pro! And by sealer, are you referring to an adhesive, or the diff fluid that i`m going to use?
I have been told to apply a small amount of diff fluid to the gasket for swelling purposes.
But Id much rather rely on other AVA owners help and information.
Ill definitely read the instructions as well.
I do have the tools for the removal and installation of the seals and bearings. I just wasnt sure if the bearing had to be packed with anything.

bchristian said:
Thank you for your information!
Then I will use the Fel-Pro! And by sealer, are you referring to an adhesive, or the diff fluid that i`m going to use?
I have been told to apply a small amount of diff fluid to the gasket for swelling purposes.
But Id much rather rely on other AVA owners help and information.
Ill definitely read the instructions as well.
I do have the tools for the removal and installation of the seals and bearings. I just wasnt sure if the bearing had to be packed with anything.

You can go to the parts store and get sealer that is advertised as gasket material in place of a gasket. That you can use for the thin film on the gasket to help seal and make sure you let cure after tightening the cover bolts, for about 2 hours before refilling the housing with the proper fluid. I would never use the fluid to help "swell" it. To me that then turns in to a path for fluid leakage. A brand of quality sealer is "Permatex". When you have the cover off and drained, reach in there with a clean shop towel and get all the old fluid out. When you are doing the bearing and seal work the old fluid will continue to drip from the gears. When refilling the housing make sure the tires are on and down on the ground so the fill hole is level and fills housing to correct spec.

Back