• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Truck problems got me down AIR BAG LIGHT

blazzinbird

So I am fairly comfortable working on my own cars. The knock sensor shouldn't be to hard to replace, well I am hoping not at least. Take my time and don't pull on any wires. Replace the intake gaskets if needed, and pray the old knock sensors are not froze in place. 

The other problem is the airbag light. I have 2 possibility's as to what the problem could be.
1) Front sensor, the reason I feel as it could be this is the is some damage to the front of the vehicle front driver side. looks like someone was off roading and had some fun.
NOW IF I KNEW OF A WAY TO TEST ONE OF THOSE SENSOR

2)Clock Spring  :E:  The dreaded clock spring. now here is why I feel it could be this. My radio controls on the steering wheel don't work. My DIC buttons work if it is light out side, they don't work if the automatic headlights are on. "There will be a new topic about that someday" Although my horn works.

So I don't know.  :needhug:

Also lastly when I get out of the truck there is a strong gas smell around the truck. Ive looked under to see if it is leaking any fuel, but it isn't. I opened the fuel door and smelled in there and it was strong there. So I wonder if I need a new fuel cap maybe. I know gas evaporates pretty quickly. \\

2004 z71 Avalanche 146xxx miles

blazzinbird said:
  So I am fairly comfortable working on my own cars. The knock sensor shouldn't be to hard to replace, well I am hoping not at least. Take my time and don't pull on any wires. Replace the intake gaskets if needed, and pray the old knock sensors are not froze in place. 

The other problem is the airbag light. I have 2 possibility's as to what the problem could be.
1) Front sensor, the reason I feel as it could be this is the is some damage to the front of the vehicle front driver side. looks like someone was off roading and had some fun.
NOW IF I KNEW OF A WAY TO TEST ONE OF THOSE SENSOR

2)Clock Spring  :E:  The dreaded clock spring. now here is why I feel it could be this. My radio controls on the steering wheel don't work. My DIC buttons work if it is light out side, they don't work if the automatic headlights are on. "There will be a new topic about that someday" Although my horn works.

So I don't know.  :needhug:

Also lastly when I get out of the truck there is a strong gas smell around the truck. Ive looked under to see if it is leaking any fuel, but it isn't. I opened the fuel door and smelled in there and it was strong there. So I wonder if I need a new fuel cap maybe. I know gas evaporates pretty quickly. \\

2004 z71 Avalanche 146xxx miles

1. During your knock sensor work make sure you DO replace the intake and all old gaskets while in there.
2. Did you do a search for testing the front sensor? Bet there is one and lots of info for replacing the clock spring and why they did.
3. Gas smell is nothing to fool around with. May have seepage somewhere that you never see hit the ground. When do you smell it as far as how full is tank or just always? May be evap parts causing it also. Again there is lots of info for you to search and find.

If your cap was needing to be replaced you should be getting the engine light and if you read the code it would have to do with the EVAP system.

So I think the gas smell is from the exhaust, y pipe right after the cats then strait out the back.

Why can I never get the right sub-forum? lol :beating:

blazzinbird said:
So I think the gas smell is from the exhaust, y pipe right after the cats then strait out the back.

Why can I never get the right sub-forum? lol :beating:

Your info about the smell being exhaust doesn't state why, it just gives a description of routing.

your right, no other codes or warning lights though. Crawled under the truck today so signs of any drips or past drips. no smell under the truck.

The only code is p0334- Knock/Combustion Vibration Sensor 2 Circuit Intermittent Bank 2

I would replace your evap canister. It is possible your tank is not able to vent like it is supposed to.

Back